Thread: [SOLVED] Creating Powerpoint 2010 compatible videos with FFmpeg...

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Creating Powerpoint 2010 compatible videos with FFmpeg...

I have to use MS PowerPoint 2010 at work for presentations and I am keen to embed some video clips. Using FFmpeg I seem to have found a base level encode that works well enough:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.flv \
              -c:v wmv2 -q:v 4  \
             -c:a wmav2 -b:a 128k \
              output.wmv
    Does anybody have experience with FFmpeg conversions for this purpose, and could suggest a better set of codecs?
    Last edited by andrew.46; April 12th, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Re: Creating Powerpoint 2010 compatible videos with FFmpeg...

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Does anybody have experience with FFmpeg conversions for this purpose, and could suggest a better set of codecs?
    I had to do this once. I think I may have ended up using either MPEG-1 video (mpeg1video) in either .mpg or .avi, or WMV2 like your command. I can't remember...so I guess this isn't very helpful. Too bad Compatible audio and video file formats in PowerPoint 2010 isn't more specific.

Sounds like a good time to experiment. Maybe one will play back more consistently than the other.

Beans

Thanks FakeOutdoorsman. I have found out that there is a bug with Powerpoint 2010 and wmv container with a not particularly helpful 'Playback error' message and frozen video. Solutions are either revert to an older Powerpoint format or use avi or mpg container. Sigh.....

Beans

So the powerpoint is almost ready and I will be presenting this Friday: 'Artificial Airways in the Intensive Care Unit' believe it or not. The following works well with Microsoft Powerpoint 2010 with embedded videos in non-compatibility mode:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i Melker_Emergency_Crico_Set.flv \
           -q:v 4 -c:v wmv2 -c:a wmav2 -b:a 128k \
           melker.avi
    Not exactly elegant but it works well for the presentation. Next to setup Zeranoe's FFmpeg, get a decent console application for Windows XP and do all of this at work next time .