Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows 8 inaccessible after boot repair

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Windows 8 inaccessible after boot repair

If you see no such option in the Advanced Options tabs, then your files already have their original names.

Beans

OK, thanks. But I'm still stuck. Sorry to be a pest but how do I get my laptop back to the state it was before I ran Boot Repair?

1) Would "Restore MBR" help?

2) Should I try non-UEFI (i.e. legacy/CSM) boot? I believe this requires: Grub Location -> untick Separate /boot/efi partition ... and then changing my BIOS to CSM boot ...

3) Or maybe purge and re-install Grub:
    GRUB options tab -> Tick the "Purge GRUB and reinstall it" option

I don't want to try these advanced options without checking with you first.

Like I said before, I'd be happy now if I could choose my O/S through the BIOS (i.e. forget about Grub altogether) ... like I used to be able to before I tried Boot Repair. FYI I think I lost Windows after the 2nd time I ran Boot Repair. It was OK after the first time - i.e. default boot to Windows, press 'Esc' during boot to select Ubuntu, which would be good enough if I can get this back.

Thanks for your help, sorry to be such a nuisance.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In legacy mode, you will not be able to boot Windows. Windows only boots from gpt partitioned drives with UEFI.

In UEFI mode MBR is not used. It only exists on gpt partitioned drives to let legacy partition tools know drive is fully used by gpt and not to try to partition it.
    But some computers (Samsungs, maybe others) have major issues with UEFI and secure boot. For those you can install Ubuntu in BIOS/legacy mode and boot from MBR. But to boot Windows you have to go into UEFI change to UEFI mode and boot Windows. Then to boot Ubuntu you have to go into UEFI/BIOS and change to BIOS/CSM mode to boot Ubuntu. Not an easy way to dual boot. If installed in BIOS mode, Boot-Repair can convert Ubuntu to UEFI boot.

The entire UEFI boot is not consistent by vendor. Some will dual boot Windows & Ubuntu with secure boot on or off. Which is how it should be. But most do not.
    Some require secure boot to be on, and with Ubuntu using the Microsoft key will boot both Windows & Ubuntu with secure boot on.
    But some have modified UEFI to only boot Windows efi file. Then you have to use the rename function to get UEFI to think it is booting Windows when it really is booting the shim file from grub that still has Microsoft key. Then grub chain loads back to Windows efi file to boot Windows.

Or there are multiple combinations of secure boot on/off. Windows files renamed or not. And even UEFI or BIOS settings in UEFI. And many users do not know all the settings within the UEFI menu to even turn secure boot on or off and BIOS mode on or off.
    And we do not know details for each brand computer and even that may vary by model of computer.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

1) Would "Restore MBR" help?

No. (MBR is not used by UEFI)

2) Should I try non-UEFI (i.e. legacy/CSM) boot? I believe this requires: Grub Location -> untick Separate /boot/efi partition ... and then changing my BIOS to CSM boot ...

No. Unless you reinstall Windows then Ubuntu after switching BIOS to Legacy.

3) Or maybe purge and re-install Grub:
    GRUB options tab -> Tick the "Purge GRUB and reinstall it" option

No, it won't help.

I haven't read all the story, but all your Boot-Info URLs show that you were able to boot into Ubuntu (either with and without SecureBoot) and run Boot-Repair from the installed session.
    So it looks like you problem is only to access Windows. You should be able to access it via the Windows entry in your BIOS.

Beans

My thanks to both of you, oldfred and YannBantu, for persisting with my problem.

Yes, YannBuntu, my problem is only to access Windows. And yes, I "should" be able to access it via the Windows entry in the BIOS ... except I can't, it doesn't work. If I press 'Esc' during reboot and set the BIOS boot priority to Windows, it fails and goes to the second priority - Ubuntu (Grub). And from Grub I can boot into Ubuntu but none of the other options on the Grub menu work.

So I now just want to restore my computer to how it was before I ran Boot Repair (for the second time, that is).

Once more I ask, please help.

Thanks - David

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Since I am not sure which file is which.
    I am sure Boot-Repair has made backups, but you can just copy the Windows file back to the correct location in the efi partition.

Windows UEFI install should have backup of bootmgfw.efi here, so copy from here, from Ubuntu or liveCD it may mount at a slightly different location.
    C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi from a working Windows x86_64 installation.

Copy to here:
    From Linux the efi partition is here and the Windows boot file is in the /EFI/Microsoft/Boot folder as it is mounted at /boot/efi

/boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

Then with secure boot on, from UEFI menu you should be able to boot.

Yann may have better ways with Boot-Repair. But he is in Europe and probably will not be on line till later.
    Last edited by oldfred; March 26th, 2013 at 05:37 AM.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Yay and Hooray! Thank you, oldfred, I could kiss you. I moved the file as you said and now Windows is back. It even appears that I can choose either Windows or Ubuntu from the Grub menu. Phew ... And thanks to Yann too. Now to figure out how to mark this thread as [SOLVED] ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Glad that worked.

Not sure what was wrong before though?
    But even with BIOS we have had to just restore Windows files and that sometimes fixes things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12