Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing applications

Beans

Unhappy Installing applications

i have just switched from windows to Ubuntu12.04. i have no idea what i am doing. tryid to install a program but god knows how to. need help. want to install iplist. i have unpacked it but what to do now?? its not like win click on a icon and start instllation...i am bit lost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: VERY NEW to Ubuntu...

Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi jed, welcome to the forums

To install software just go to the "Software Center" and pick what you want to install. Is there some program that is giving you trouble?

Beans

Yeah thanks for reply. trouble with iplist, or peerguardian...and every soft i download manually no Software Center. as said i am Very NEw to Ubuntu. command line = magic at the moment just need something that will filter my outgoing signal

Beans
    Hidden!

You should stick with the Software Center untill you are more familiar with Ubuntu. Do you wish to install a firewall?

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

Beans

Got gufw enabled but it doestn filter ips.
    Last edited by jed1347; March 22nd, 2013 at 01:29 AM.

Beans

They have some instructions on their website to enable a new PPA to use the software center or apt-get to install, with what you downloaded though I would guess you need to build the package so this should do it (I am assuming you have the tar.bz2 file in your ~/Downloads folder, you will need to change the code accordingly). This should work, but I'm not on a computer I can look at it good with so I can't be fore sure.

in a terminal you will use these commands...
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads
    to get into your downloads directory
    Code:
    tar xvf iplist-0.29.tar.bz2
    to unpack it (I think you have already done this, but thought I'd throw it in there)
    Code:
    cd iplist-0.29
    to get inside the iplist source folder
    Code:
    ./configure
    to set up your build configurations
    Code:
    make
    to build the package
    Code:
    make install
    to install the package

You will need to keep the package up to date building form source like this yourself as the package manager will not know it's there, so adding the PPA is probably the better way, but building it should install it. Also you may need to install some packages to use make, I'm not sure exactly which ones on Ubuntu though.

Beans

that doesnt work i have unpacked it, got inside dir..and thats it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You are attempting to learn how to fly by starting out on a 747. This is most definitely not how to begin.

One of the big advantages of Ubuntu is its repositories. There is really nothing that a new user need or should go outside of the repositories for. In your case, specifically, IPtables are managed through UFW. The GUI front end is GUFW. It is downloaded from the repositories either through Software Center of by doing
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gufw
    The whole download-from-I.own.you.com practice is a Windows convention that is one of the many reasons it is a rollicking malware playground. Please listen to @Cheesemill as he is very knowledgeable. I too highly recommend the link he has given you.

To filter IPs using UFW read this How-To.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Are you on 64-bit?

There's a 64 bit deb available that you can just double click on to in stall here... http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipli...s/iplist/0.29/

Where did you get your package from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast