Some colleges or universities provide ebooks (in .pdf formats) to student for free. These ebooks usually require a student login and password to unlock the ebook's content. The default pdf viewer installed in Ubuntu 12.04LTS is unable to unlock them.
STEP 1: Install Adobe Acrobat Reader 9+
- Open TERMINAL
STEP 2: Trial and Error
sudo add-apt-repository “deb http://archive.canonical.com/ precise partner”
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install acroread
- Open Acrobat Reader via Dash Home
- Open desire file
- Prompt for your student username and password
- refer to your school if necessary
There are two things that can happen here:
1. Everything works perfectly
2. "Your security settings don't allow access to the protectedpdf server. You must allow access to the server.”
STEP 3: Allowing access to the protectedpdf server.
- In Acrobat Reader
- Go to Edit > Preferences
- choose Trust Manager on the left
- select Change Settings on Internet Access from PDF
- change the allow access to allow all
You are now able to view you ebook and its content in Ubuntu after logging in your school student username and password. Enjoy.