Thread: Dell Inspiron 1525: New Battery Issues

Beans

Dell Inspiron 1525: New Battery Issues

I bought an extended battery for my Inspiron 1525 a few weeks ago and it's been kind of touch and go since I got it. It was working fine when I first installed it, but now it doesn't seem to be taking any charge and almost immediately shuts down when I unplug the charger.

I ran a systems diagnostic through the BIOS, rebooted and it ran like normal again with about a 4 to 5 hour charge. After trying to re-charge the issue came up again. Running another system diagnostic did nothing and I'm back to square one, with seemingly no charge on the battery.

I'm thinking it has something to do with ubuntu not recognizing the new battery or something to that effect, but I can't be sure. Hoping I can get some help with this issue. Please let me know if further details are needed. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Dell Inspiron 1525: New Battery Issues

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 27th, 2013 at 03:41 AM.

Beans

I had suspected that it may be an issue with the power adapter. There's been a tear in the cable for quite some time so it may time for a replacement as well.

I'll go ahead and note that when I booted up today (just a few minutes ago) the indicator is now reading the battery and says that it has 2 hours until a full charge. So it seems that it's just a random deal when it's detected and when it's not.

I bought the battery on amazon brand new, didn't bother to go through dell. It's a generic replacement 9 cell battery for both the 1525 and 1526 series. Here's a link to it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

From hearing your information I'm inclined to think it's the adapter though, which I have no problem purchasing a replacement for. Do you suggest a certain type of adapter or would any Dell adapter do? Thanks for your help.

Beans

~

Beans

Thanks ahall. I've more or less confirmed that it's the adapter. It picks and chooses when it wants to charge so I'll be investing in a new one. I've already found a couple of the ones you've described on amazon.

There was only one more question I had. The battery is working fine and the charge is lasting for a good 4 to 5 hours, but the indicator on my desktop keeps bouncing around on how much time I have left. One second it says I have 3 hours and the next second it says I have one hour. The charge lasts as long as it should, but the indicator seems off. Is there a more accurate indicator I can get for ubuntu?

Beans

~

Beans

I'm on 12.10 right now. I don't think there are too many differences between 12.04 and 12.10 so it may be the battery reporting weird to the laptop like you said.

Beans

~