Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recover data from crashed hard drive

Beans

Question recover data from crashed hard drive

I had a HP media smart server that crashed I have removed the internal hdd that contained pictures and videos of my daughter's 1st yr. The drive was a WD caviar 1TB internal drive.

I am trying to recover data from this drive and tried using Ubuntu and Testdisk only to find that test disk does not event detect my drive. All that shows up on test disk are my local hdd. I can hear the WD drive spin up with a clicking noise and then it stops spinning.

Any recommendation/ suggestions on how I could go about this?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by selectiveins; March 21st, 2013 at 06:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Help me recover pictures and videos of my daughter's 1st yr

Quote Originally Posted by selectiveins View Post
    I had a HP media smart server that crashed I have removed the internal hdd that contained pictures and videos of my daughter's 1st yr. The drive was a WD caviar 1TB internal drive.

I am trying to recover data from this drive and tried using Ubuntu and Testdisk only to find that test disk does not event detect my drive. All that shows up on test disk are my local hdd. I can hear the WD drive spin up with a clicking noise and then it stops spinning.

Any recommendation/ suggestions on how I could go about this?

Thanks in advance
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like the drive is bad.
    There are companies out there that recover data from bad drives. I don't know much about them, but they are out there.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans

Thanks for the reply Slim Odds. Is there anything else I can do to try recover the data before I take that route?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Unfortunately the drive sounds like it's dead to me as well, since hard drives don't usually click and shut off. In order to recover the data, you will likely have to send it in for data recovery, which will be very expensive.

If you have the drive hooked up through USB, I would recommend that you hook it up using another method, or find a way to get the drive more power.
    Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
    Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!

Beans

Yes I am using USB to hook it. How else would I hook the drive to give it more power?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: recover data from crashed hard drive

If you have the clicking sound I recommend that you disconnect the drive and don't do anything until you have talked to a professional. Your attempts might make it worse.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro

What does the thing that you are using to hook up the drive look like?
    Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
    Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Look for a document on the web: 200 ways to revive a dead drive.

Try rapidly rotating with your wrist. Try putting it in the freezer for an hour inside a ziplock bag.

Slow spin up could be caused by a bad bearing. When the drive doesn't reach the correct platter speed, it will time out. That is the clicking you hear. It could also be a damaged head. It tries to read the platters, but can't so it parks itself after a few seconds.

If you can't get it mount under linux then you can't use any of the software tools to recover the data. You might have to send it out to a data recovery service--which is expensive and not always successful.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

tgalati, I now don't think his drive is bad. I think that the USB hard drive enclosure he is using to connect the drive to the PC is not supplying the drive enough power. I have had this happen to me plenty of times before with my 320GB Toshiba drive that I put in a 3rd party enclosure from Amazon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin194 View Post
    tgalati, I now don't think his drive is bad. I think that the USB hard drive enclosure he is using to connect the drive to the PC is not supplying the drive enough power. I have had this happen to me plenty of times before with my 320GB Toshiba drive that I put in a 3rd party enclosure from Amazon.
    The USB unit that I use for this purpose has a separate connector for power and a separate power supply as well.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast