Thread: Tree-like Note/Journal Application

Beans

Tree-like Note/Journal Application

Hello:

I keep technical journals. I use Google Docs. I have tried Evernote but never feels compeling to use. I took a quick look at basket notes (KDE) and does not seem to fit the bill either. So for now I will stick with Google Docs.

However, what I would really like is a note taking/journal application that lets me create trees. Much like an outline, but with more graphic support and navigation. I will elaborate.

To me, organizing a project or writing something inevitably leads to a hierarchic with tasks and sub tasks. covering a subject involves the topics and subtopics, plus the quick notes to do further research into some point etc. The word processor provides a linear approach, and this makes me jump lines and create a type of topology in my brain about where in the document (or todo list ) I am in. At a given moment, the outline because big enough that the literal big picture is lost. A program that allows the user to create content, todo lists, or journals in a tree GUI would feel very friendly to how we think (wouldn't it ? )

As I write about this idea I think a crude approach can be made with konqueror and some disciplined use of folders. Git to keep history, Lucen/Tika to keep the thing searchable. but even then, a plugin for Konqueror would be nice. I find Konqueror as the "killer app" in KDE as it is.

Does anybody have any pointers to existing applications that come close to this. would it be a worthwhile project

Thanks for any input.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Tree-like Note/Journal Application

zim-wiki might be of interest. It's in the repos, and there's a ppa if you want the latest version.

More information here: http://zim-wiki.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

+1 for zim.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install zim
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chronus_aurelius View Post
    I keep technical journals. I use Google Docs. I have tried Evernote but never feels compeling to use. I took a quick look at basket notes (KDE) and does not seem to fit the bill either. So for now I will stick with Google Docs.
    Given your opening sentences here, I guess you have tried Google Keep which is Google's new alternative to Evernote. It was only released yesterday. It links to gdrive (i.e. Google docs) and lays notes out in a magazine or list format. It's actually pretty good and the Android App is good also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Cool. Zee-est. Shiny.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

I've been using Cherrytree for the past week, and it works great and does the job.
    http://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/