Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I will stay with Ubuntu

Beans

Why I will stay with Ubuntu

If you do not have Ubuntu, you should get it. It is the best operating system ever, and it is free. You do not have to leave your Windows programs thanks to Wine, a Windows program loader (Not a drink). It runs .exe files and includes a cmd to run .bat files. Ubuntu has little malware and viruses, and it does not fragment your hard drive. It is fast and stable. It is COMPLETELY customizable. If you don't think Linux is user friendly, try Ubuntu (not arch Linux). I am not going back to Windows! On Mac OSX you have to freakin' " authenticate" every little thing, even a shutdown. Come on Apple, authenticate a SHUTDOWN. Windows is so slow and Vista is only compatible with and has drivers for the blue screen. Windows has like a zillion viruses out there for Windows. If there was one dollar for every Windows virus out there, we could pay off the national debt (well, not really, but there are a lot of viruses).

Even though I've only had it for a couple of months, but I love it.

PS. this is my first thread
    Last edited by MaxLinuxLover; March 31st, 2013 at 06:36 AM. Reason: I saw comments about the inaccurate prefix, so I fixed it

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Why I will stay with Ubuntu

You need to 'authenticate' if you want to shutdown from a terminal.

Also, it is a good idea to note that not everything runs in WINE.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

To get the windows cmd from wine, go to terminal and type "wine cmd" without the quotes.

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I agree with you, don't get me wrong. But the way you started this thread didn't sound very professional. (You know what I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLinuxLover View Post
    If you do not have Ubuntu, you should get it. It is the best operating system ever,
    You sounded like a fanboy..
    Last edited by Moose; March 22nd, 2013 at 02:00 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLinuxLover View Post
    If you do not have Ubuntu, you should get it. It is the best operating system ever, and it is free. You do not have to leave your Windows programs thanks to Wine, a Windows program loader (Not a drink). It runs .exe files and includes a cmd to run .bat files. Ubuntu has little malware and viruses, and it does not fragment your hard drive. It is fast and stable. It is COMPLETELY customizable. If you don't think Linux is user friendly, try Ubuntu (not arch Linux). I am not going back to Windows! On Mac OSX you have to freakin' " authenticate" every little thing, even a shutdown. Come on Apple, authenticate a SHUTDOWN. Windows is so slow and Vista is only compatible with and has drivers for the blue screen. Windows has like a zillion viruses out there for Windows. If there was one dollar for every Windows virus out there, we could pay off the national debt (well, not really, but there are a lot of viruses).
    Just so you know, you are not a fan of Ubuntu but of Linux

Welcome to the club

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I wonder why this is posted under a PCLinuxOS heading. And never say "always" or "never" when it comes to Linux distros. There was one I loved but had to abandon when it changed radically enough. I won't say "never again," but "not for the time being."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I believe that Ubuntu is a viable alternative to Windows. Interestingly I had decided to re-vitalize my ancient Dell Laptop that had been running Win XP. My choice was NOT Ubuntu but rather Chrome OS, after 3 weeks of dismal failure (yes I did bios and all driver updates prior and upgraded memory 512 Mb - 2 Gb) using the daily builds I decided to try Ubuntu.

My first install to a PenDrive was Ubuntu 12.10; after a couple weeks of running from a PenDrive I too the plunge and installed Ubuntu as the only OS on the laptop. This was a secondary PC so I had all my files on my desktop PC running Win 7. About a year ago I had started using Thunderbird instead of Outlook, and Open Office instead of Microsoft Office so I had partially embraced open source.

Since I had good success on my old laptop I decided to install on my much newer HP desktop. Since it has 3 drives (SSD and 2 HDD) I installed a dual boot keeping the SSD for Win 7. There are a couple of apps that I'm keeping Win & around for - Photoshop ( yes - yes I know about GIMP but am presently unwilling to transfer 10 years+ of photography, iCloud & iTunes for my iPhone, and Roxio Creator (it will be the first that I'll replace of these with open source).

I'm certain there must be other distributions that are functional, but I was lucky that Ubuntu installed without any more hasel that a normal Win installation and had all the required drivers for hardware on both old and new.
    Last edited by matt_symes; March 24th, 2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: removed microsoft slang.

Beans

Peripheral Visionary - I think the OP has gotten confused.

PCLinuxOS has nothing to do with 'PC' (as in Windows) - infact, it is a separate Linux distro (see here: http://www.pclinuxos.com/).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

dear maxlinuxlover , it is good to love something but its not good to become so overwhealmed that you become blind about some facts. linux is not affected by windows virus , its right , but virus is not one and only security problem with an os . just installing a linux system is not a ' dont worry ,be happy' thing. you must be careful to keep yor system/data protected . ubuntu's security is great and surely have some great features , but you must follow some does and does not according to your environment . think no one will be hurt by my words.keep UBUNTUing.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Virtuality314 View Post
    Peripheral Visionary - I think the OP has gotten confused.

PCLinuxOS has nothing to do with 'PC' (as in Windows) - infact, it is a separate Linux distro (see here: http://www.pclinuxos.com/).
    That's got to be it. A friend of mine had that distro (the Xfce spin) on this computer for a few days. I thought it was wonderful if not for a few hardware issues which have probably been long since resolved. A classmate of mine is using it now and just loves it. It's very Kubuntu-like actually, using apt-get (even Synaptic!) even though it's not a Debian derivative distro.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast