Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why I will stay with Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Why I will stay with Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by os2 View Post
    many packages are updated more conservatively than I've seen with a few other distros.
    They are updated exactly every 6 months (barring a release delay, which has only happened once). Granted, this is more conservative than a "rolling release" distro (like Arch) but still rather aggressive compared to many popular distsros such as Debian, Red Hat, CentOS, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!

I was comparing to something like openSUSE which is also conservative but not as much as Ubuntu. Arch on the other hand is at the other extreme end of the scale.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I like Ubuntu for it's good proprietary hardware support. I use it with on my main desktop in my living room as a media center dual booting with Windows 7, but I've always been more comfortable with Fedora. I've been using "yum" with Red Hat/Fedora since around 2000. I wouldn't say one is better than the other (although the Fedora devs are much quicker in rolling out bug fixes than Ubuntu's devs imho). It's mainly a familiarity and comfort thing with me. I mean if you spend 12-13 years with a distro you're going to develop a rather strong attachment to it

Other than those two, I started out with Slackware in 1998 when I was in high school, but haven't used it since since I switched to Red Hat a few years later. I used Arch Linux for a couple years on a secondary laptop. To this day, it's the fastest distro (regardless of what DE or WM I was using) I ever used. I just don't have the time to deal with it anymore. Fedora is about as bleeding edge as I want to get.
    Last edited by neruson; April 2nd, 2013 at 04:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

That is pretty farfetched. Ubuntu is good, but it's not "the best operating system ever", as you said.
    Last edited by bashhimup; April 3rd, 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123