Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why I will stay with Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Why I will stay with Ubuntu

Why are you pitching Ubuntu to its own forum?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kookas View Post
    Why are you pitching Ubuntu to its own forum?
    LOL, That's what I thought. XD

Moose is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

He's just a fanboy. I will guarantee that everyone here has had that stage where they went around telling everyone about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Best operating system ever????!!!! It's good but I don't think you can really justify such an outrageous statement. After I read this opening statement, I kind of just ignored the rest of the post.

Beans

Hi I have tried NimbleX, it is awesome, but not as good as Ubuntu. I also tried Arch Linux, it is OK, not as good as Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the one for me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Ubuntu tries to be an OS in itself. In particular by running Ubuntu, one couldn't be further from Linux in my view. It seems to want to put the maximum distance possible between you and the terminal. Errors for example, of which there seem to be many are concealed by dialog boxes, yet the order of the visual prompts are most X-like -- namely all occurring at the same time to the user without any semblance of order.

There are a handful of other, nice and fluidic Linux varieties out there. Ubuntu gives a corp face to Linux. And there are others which proceed as though being hung from a shoestring. One has to appreciate Ubuntu's consistency and comprehensiveness throughout the project, as I do. But sadly it's an unusable piece of software for me, and in many ways it's worse than Windows, as it's too tightly controlled and a worse performer on given hardware. The software management is slow and many packages are updated more conservatively than I've seen with a few other distros.

I'm not criticising the project. And I hope people won't take these comments to heart or personally. The project is good but I would like to see vital improvements in some gaping shortcomings of the software before I alter my current views. Sorry once again..

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxLinuxLover View Post
    Hi I have tried NimbleX, it is awesome, but not as good as Ubuntu. I also tried Arch Linux, it is OK, not as good as Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the one for me.
    Ya, but if you're going to compare it's reasonable to give some common ground between your subjects. One's portability, the other a CLI and then Ubuntu. Slackware, Arch and Deby. Linux is what it is.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by os2 View Post
    It seems to want to put the maximum distance possible between you and the terminal.
    Ctrl+Alt+T
    or
    tap Windows/Super key, type "terminal"

(assuming you are using Unity; for other DE's instructions may vary)

Beans

I can't see how the terminal is more hidden in Ubuntu (Unity) than say, in Gnome-Shell or KDE with other distros . At least Ubuntu and its variants are preconfigured with a easy keyboard shortcut to bring it up whereas in Fedora or Debian (gnome-shell) you have to do it yourself. The accusation of Ubuntu trying to eliminate the CLI (hence not really Linux) is absurd, no one stops or prevents you from using the CLI in Ubuntu, it just offers other options for others who prefer visual cues (and that can be said of all DE developers), it is adding something while nothing has been subtracted. I think some people are confusing their own work styles and preferences with what Linux should be.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 2nd, 2013 at 12:14 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

1. A figure of speech.

2. Generally speaking, the terminal is less promoted in the system because more-often-than-not the GUI is encouraged. I've had more errors under Ubuntu than any other system without the heck knowing what's going on.

Maybe so, but that's the beauty of it, you make it what you want it to be. But Ubuntu feels quite restrictive (at least to me).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast