Thread: GUI-based search tool to find files of given type (PDF) opened/modified in date range

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

GUI-based search tool to find files of given type (PDF) opened/modified in date range

Recently I was using a program that allowed me to print to my printer or print to CUPS-PDF. I needed the PDF file to attach to an e-mail. Once I printed to CUPS-PDF, I could not find the PDF file. I have had several other occassions where I needed to search for "wildcard.pdf" over a given date range, etc. I find use of the terminal highly objectionable as I need to teach my secretary how to search for files, etc. I need something easy to use.

Is there truly no way to do this in Ubuntu 12.04 w/o resorting to the terminal?

Thank you,

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GUI-based search tool to find files of given type (PDF) opened/modified in date r

Press the windows key to get the window that appears when you press the windows key. If you see "Search for Files" in the upper left corner, then press return. If it's somewhere else, then click on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: GUI-based search tool to find files of given type (PDF) opened/modified in date r

Thank you for your reply. First, my keyboard does not have a windows key. However, the key between Ctrl and ALt brings up the icon bar. Entering pdf in the search window brought up about 20% of my pdf files and folders containing pdf documents. More importantly, I found that printing to PDF on CUPS-PDF sent the output to the /home/username/PDF/ folder. I found other documents that had disappeared there, too. The application that lead to the problem was QuickBooks 2001 running under Crossover. Reports from that program are named INTUIT.PDF. So if you need to print multiple reports, you need to print one and rename the PDF file before printing another one.

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

CUPS-PDF typically leaves a file called output.pdf in your home directory, or on the desktop. You have to manually rename it to something useful.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

install dolphin as your file browser and then use its "find" option. after that you can click on the "green plus" in right side to restrict the find results.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    it is better to move to kubuntu instead of ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The best choice here was to switch to Konqueror. Has better search tool and also allows association of files asssociated with MS Win based programs running under Crossover.

I am about a month away from turing off Win XP at my consulting business so now is not the time to change Linux flavors.

John