Thread: Booting issues in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise after an update

Beans

Booting issues in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise after an update

Hi,

I am fairly new to Ubuntu (and to this forum as well) so please allow me to be clueless. I recently installed the precise 12.04 LTS (alongside windows) in one of my older desktops (asrock chipset mobo, P4 2.4GHz CPU, onboard intel graphics, 1 GHz ram). I am using the Gnome classic DE and had set the OS to automatically update. Yesterday the OS downloaded and installed updates as usual and asked for a reboot...and I complied...however ubuntu refused to boot since then...the grub menu would appear (without the timeout countdown which was earlier set at 5s) and on pressing enter a purple screen would appear momentarily followed by a black screen with a blinking cursor at the left upper corner of the screen. I could boot to the windows installation though and could also boot using a live usb. I googled without any luck...finally I partially solved the problem (serendipitously?) by finding that the linux version in the grub menu had changed to 3.5.0-26-generic from the previous 3.5.0-25-generic...I located the previous linux version in the "previous linux installations" item in the grub menu and booted to that without any issues.

My question now is this: how can I make the 3.5.0-25-generic my default version? also can I safely remove the latest version of linux i.e., 3.5.0-26, if so how? Also how can I prevent ubuntu from updating to this latest version during future automatic updates (as it seems that the latest version is not compatible with hardware (graphics etc) of my desktop and the 3.5.0-25 seems to be stable on my pc and is kind of working for me now)?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by uberdoc; March 23rd, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Booting issues in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise after an update

First just to be sure your running the kernel (3.5.0-25) you want to keep.

Code:
    uname -r
    To remove that one kernel:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge linux-image-3.5.0-26-generic
    There are ways to lock the kernel version, but the easy way is just to update/upgrade in terminal.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    This will upgrade your other packages, but will not upgrade the kernel.

And last, remove auto-update in software sources.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tu#Updates_Tab

If you want full control over updates and just about everything else concerning package management (update/removal/depends/files installed ...).

You may want to start using Synaptic Package Manager.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

synaptic updates.png

Beans

@ibjsb4 thanks a million for your suggestion...I'll try them and get back with the results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Go to Software Sources and go to the Updates tab, you have an option at the bottom if you want to prevent future updates of Ubuntu. "Notify me of a new version of Ubuntu" with a dropdown menu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

but otherwise this shouldn't happen to users. so you could try removing the kernel and then updating it again.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tancrackers View Post
    Go to Software Sources and go to the Updates tab, you have an option at the bottom if you want to prevent future updates of Ubuntu. "Notify me of a new version of Ubuntu" with a dropdown menu.
    Selecting this doesn't prevent updating, but rather prevents the version from upgrading.

To the op, it looks like your system is running the quantal kernel, so you either installed the quantal-LTS kernel or your system upgraded to the quantal release.
    Either option would have been something you would have had to have been fully aware of.
    But that is neither have nor there.
    Look at this for how to set grub to use the last session used by default:
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/g...mozTocId624480
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

@ibjsb4

Ok so I did all that...and now the grub is back to normal behavior...it waits for 5s and boots to the 3.5.0-25...so thats solved...thanks again

And last, remove auto-update in software sources.
    auto-update was never enabled since installation...software center offered updates and I installed them...only I did not know it was upgrading my kernel too...guess I'll have to be watchful henceforth.

You may want to start using Synaptic Package Manager.
    did that.

@others
    thanks guys appreciate your taking time off to reply
    Last edited by uberdoc; March 21st, 2013 at 07:57 PM. Reason: oops! my bad!

Beans
    Hidden!