Thread: Experience with Viewsonic 2 touch screen monitor in Ubuntu.

Beans

Experience with Viewsonic 2 touch screen monitor in Ubuntu.

I got the new view sonic TD2220 touch screen monitor (it uses the quanta usb driver). Before trying it in Ubuntu I tried it on w8, w7 and chromium os. It was working flawlessly in windows (in fact I like w7 touch more than w8). In chromeos it was working ok (no pinch to zoom). Then I tried it in Ubuntu 13.04. (unity and kde). The biggest issues with Ubuntu were as follows.
    * Unity multitouch was unstable. After the last update there were less issues.
    * No touch scrolling in most of the applications including the browsers.
    * No pinch-zoom in all the applications.
    * screen keyboard nowhere to be found.
    * in xbmc It did not respond well to touch. In general when I selected something with touch I got something else. Unlike w7 where xbmc worked as expected. I got scrolling, and it responded correctly to touch selection.

Am I missing something or Ubuntu touch is not well developed yet. The biggest issues for me where the unexpected/unnatural behavior in browsers (no scrolling or pinch-zoom)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Experience with Viewsonic 2 touch screen monitor in Ubuntu.

Have you tried Ubuntu 12.04.2? In my experience interm releases are stable but the packages are not always, was running 12.10 and went back to 12.04 and have found this to be far more stable in terms of packages but that has just been my experience. As far as the keyboard did you try and deploy and set up "onboard"? I remember watching on the Linux Action Show them saying that they installed 12.04 on I believe a Lenovo convertiable and said the touch with onboard was a flawless experience.

Beans

Re: Experience with Viewsonic 2 touch screen monitor in Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by DMGrier View Post
    Have you tried Ubuntu 12.04.2? In my experience interm releases are stable but the packages are not always, was running 12.10 and went back to 12.04 and have found this to be far more stable in terms of packages but that has just been my experience. As far as the keyboard did you try and deploy and set up "onboard"? I remember watching on the Linux Action Show them saying that they installed 12.04 on I believe a Lenovo convertiable and said the touch with onboard was a flawless experience.
    I have tried the ubuntu live cd 12.10 It is similar experience. In the past I have tried 12.04.1 is does not have out of the box support for touch. It is possible that for my hardware the support is incomplete. I wanted to have HTPC with touch screen running XBMC. for now I will have to use w7. The biggest issue is that XBMC does not respond to touch appropriately as it does in windows. I will try 13.04 again when the final version comes out.