Re: Dual Boot Win 7 FROM Ubuntu?
Welcome to the forums!
This is actually really easy to do. I have done this plenty of times.
WARNING: You can lose your data by performing these methods. It is recommended that you back up your data before attempting to do this.
NOTE: You will need both your Windows Install DVD, and your Ubuntu Live CD/USB.
Here's what you gotta do:
1. Boot from your Ubuntu Live CD/USB.
2. Launch the Partition Editor, commonly known as GParted.
3. Right-Click your Ubuntu partition and click Resize/Move.
4. In the dialog that opens, make the bar at the top smaller, and click Resize/Move
5. Click on the check mark at the top of the GParted window, and you will then resize your partition
You are now ready to install Windows.
6. Install Windows 7, but make sure you select your blank space, not the Ubuntu partition
You will lose the ability to boot Ubuntu at this point.
This is normal, and here's how to fix it:
7. Boot from your Ubuntu Live CD/USB again.
8. Open a Terminal and run the following commands to install the Boot Repair utility:
9. Launch Boot Repair as root
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install boot-repair
10. Once Boot Repair is open, click on the Recommended Repair button.
You should have installed Ubuntu and Windows 7, and have the ability to boot either one. Tell me if you have any issues or questions.
Last edited by dolphin194; March 21st, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Feel free to add me on Skype for a quicker response, but tell me you're from the forums!
Read the following if you want, but I'm warning you: it may be complete nonsense!