Thread: Can't get a stable gnome-shell

Beans

Post Can't get a stable gnome-shell

So I installed gnome-shell, all seems good until about a day in, all of a sudden everything becomes unresponsive, I can't click anywhere, I can't press SUPER to get to overlay, the only things I can do is watch the mouse move around, and watch my keyboard capslock light turn on and off as I hit the capslock button... this has happened atleast 3 times to me now. Using the great and almighty (yeah right) nvidia driver, I don't even have access to the virtual terminals, so I switch to those and seeing them fail hit the keys to get back to gnome-shell, now all I get is a black screen, with a moving cursor, nothing else. Only "solution" at this point is to hard reboot the system...

Only specifics I can remember is from the last incident, I was attempting to use the uploader on imageshack, next to "Activities" where gnome-shell shows the foremost program name, it changed to the image uploader title, and then just pretty much locked up. It always happens when I click something and need something to come to front.

Ubuntu: 12.10
    Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic
    Arch: x86_64
    Nvidia: 310.14
    Last edited by bhosada; March 20th, 2013 at 08:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: Can't get a stable gnome-shell

Make sure if you have installed any themes they are Gnome 3.6 compatible especially shell themes, but GTK as well. Incompatible shell themes freeze sometimes and the overview, applications and notification don't work properly. Other than that that it may be a hardware problem .
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I had problems with gnome-shell in 12.10 as well. My problems had to do with suspend/resume, specifically it wouldn't resume. I installed Xfce which seemed better than gnome-shell. Gnome-shell is working well in 13.04 for me to date.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Make sure if you have installed any themes they are Gnome 3.6 compatible especially shell themes, but GTK as well. Incompatible shell themes freeze sometimes and the overview, applications and notification don't work properly. Other than that that it may be a hardware problem .
    I haven't installed any themes, but have installed extensions, weather(neroth) and noa11y; possible culprits?
    Doubt it could be hardware, as I also have Windows 7 and OS X installed on this box, and both are perfectly stable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

What graphics card(s) do you have? That could be a problem with Gnome Shell and graphics.

Beans

nvidia 8800 GTX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by bhosada View Post
    I haven't installed any themes, but have installed extensions, weather(neroth) and noa11y; possible culprits?
    Doubt it could be hardware, as I also have Windows 7 and OS X installed on this box, and both are perfectly stable.
    Try disabling the extensions as a test. I run an 8 series Nvidia card with the 304 experimental driver and have no problems on my W7 dual boot.
    Desktops include Unity, Gnome Shell, and XFCE session.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual