Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xubuntu not booting after updates - display driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Xubuntu not booting after updates - display driver?

Tried selecting 'S' but laptop just hung there doing nothing. So I rebooted to GRUB screen and selected Previous Version. Booted (eventually!) to the desktop screen and got the following crash report

Would I be better installing Lubuntu as it is such a low spec machine?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Well, that would explain the fact the upgrade caused it. For some reason, it seems the newer kernel has broken something to do with the /boot directory (or perhaps the act of installing it broke the filesystem). You're getting the crash report because the program (unrelated, I think) tried to access the read-only filesystem.

Have you tried the other options in recovery mode? I think the filesystem check would be pertinent under the circumstances.

Lubuntu would probably not help as this isn't a problem with performance, although a reinstall would fix this problem. Up to you really.

Beans
    Distro

Hey,

Just wanted to update the thread.

I opted for Previous version of Ubuntu from GRUB screen and managed to get into the desktop. Got the crash report as well as 19 updates required. I installed the updates and a restart was needed afterward. However, when I restarted the laptop, all I got was the Asus splash screen. I can't even get into the BIOS now. No key options such as F2, F8, F10 or holding down the SHIFT key are working.

I ended up taking the laptop apart and pulling out the hard drive. When I tried to start with no hard drive, it booted straight into the BIOS screen. When this occurred I took the hard drive and put it in another laptop and was able to install Lubuntu on it. But when I put the hard drive back into the original laptop the same thing happens; booting as far as the Asus splash screen and no further with no Function keys working either.

HEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kkelly77 View Post
    I can't even get into the BIOS now. No key options such as F2, F8, F10 or holding down the SHIFT key are working.
    [...]
    booting as far as the Asus splash screen and no further with no Function keys working either.

HEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

Uh-oh. *buntu can't touch the BIOS or other firmware. As far as it's concerned (although UEFI is a different kettle of fish as far as I can tell), the BIOS is a 'black box' that boots the thing.

So I've no idea. I'd be tempted to see what happens if you do a CMOS reset by taking the BIOS battery out for five minutes or so, then replacing it. This will reset the BIOS to defaults. On some laptops, this may be a royal pain in the rear though.

Sorry.

Will it boot anything other than a hard disk now?

Beans
    Distro

Put the dodgy hard drive into another laptop and booted from a Lubunutu live USB. Looks like hard drive is on it's last legs.

With the hard drive out of the laptop in question, I can boot off the Lubuntu live USB no problem and get into the BIOS too. I'll try a known working hard drive in the laptop so soon as I get my hands on one.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12