Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu not booting after updates - display driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Xubuntu not booting after updates - display driver?

A friend of mine has an Asus eee PC 1015CX laptop. It was running extremely slow with W7 on it so I installed Xubuntu for them. I read on another thread there is an issue with 3rd party display drivers for this particular laptop, so I did not check the checkbox allowing 3rd party drivers. The laptop was in 800 x 600 VGA mode but my friend didn't mind this as long as she could use the laptop.

However, she has since told me that she was installing updates and when she restarts the laptop it just has a black screen and is not booting. This is what initially happened to me when I first installed Xubuntu and allowed 3rd party drivers to be installed. Somehow the driver must have been installed.

Is there a way to get back into Xubuntu and remove the recently installed updates, similar to Safe Mode in Windoze? Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Xubuntu not booting after updates - display driver?

1. Hold the shift key before boot, you should get to a boot menu (purple or black screen, "Ubuntu, with linux kernel x.x.x.x.").
    2. Select 'recovery mode' for the menu item of your current kernel (if you don't know, it's the second one down), then you should get into an old-school screen. Blue and red, if I recall.
    3. Select 'root prompt' from the list of options, then you should have a prompt.
    4. You'll need to find out what the graphics driver package for this laptop is. Once you've found it out, move to step 5.
    5. In your prompt, type:
      Code:
      apt-get remove <package>
      paying close attention to spelling, and replacing <package> with the name you found in step 4.
    6. Check that you're not removing anything that looks unsafe. If you're not sure, post back here.
    7. When you're happy, press 'y', then return, and let the uninstall run.
    8. Reboot. Either press the power button or type 'reboot' at the prompt.

If you're lucky and it really was the driver being installed, that'll be it and you should be able to reboot back into driver-less mode. Otherwise you'll still have problems. If you've got problems with any step, post back here before continuing. Don't want to break anything else now, do we?

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the advice MG&TL. I'll try that as soon as I get my hands on the laptop in question.

Here is a screen shot of the driver in question which I believe is causing the issue:

Where can I find the package name for it so I can remove it in recovery mode?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi,

After some googling, it seems to be the cedarview-drm package. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise.../cedarview-drm

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Hi,

After some googling, it seems to be the cedarview-drm package. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise.../cedarview-drm

Cheers.
    Thanks again MG&TL

So my removal code will be? -

Code:
    apt-get remove cedarview-drm

Beans
    Distro

UPDATE

Just got hold of the laptop. Looks like I was given some wrong information.

The laptop is booting to the Xubuntu screen but is not booting any further.

If I go into recovery mode, is there a command to revert back to state prior to most recent updates?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kkelly77 View Post
    Thanks again MG&TL

So my removal code will be? -

Code:
    apt-get remove cedarview-drm
    Yup, should be.

No problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kkelly77 View Post
    UPDATE

Just got hold of the laptop. Looks like I was given some wrong information.

The laptop is booting to the Xubuntu screen but is not booting any further.

If I go into recovery mode, is there a command to revert back to state prior to most recent updates?
    Cool, this is (probably) easier then.

No, there isn't, unless she had a backup. However, try booting into recovery mode then hit 'continue normal boot' and see what happens. I believe recovery mode disables the splash screen so you can see what's going on.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MG&TL View Post
    Cool, this is (probably) easier then.

No, there isn't, unless she had a backup. However, try booting into recovery mode then hit 'continue normal boot' and see what happens. I believe recovery mode disables the splash screen so you can see what's going on.
    Looks like an issue with the /boot partition?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ubuntu doesn't usually have a separate boot partition, so I'd be tempted to say filesystem corruption from hardware failure or unexpected shutdown.

Try pressing 'S' and see if you can boot (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1845757 says it'll work...). We can find out why it's doing that later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast