Thread: Booting LILO problem after Pingolin installation from the internet (no cd-drive)

Beans

Booting LILO problem after Pingolin installation from the internet (no cd-drive)

Hello
    I have a computer that had Hardy Heron installed, I wanted to erase everything and install Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (Precise Pangolin).
    the computer has no cd-drive, I tried making a bootable usb with UNetbootin but the computer would not boot from usb.
    I ended up installing it following these instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...llFromInternet.
    It was going fine until the GRUB installation, it gave me "GRUB cannot install" error so I choose to install LILO instead and finished the installation.
    when it booted it showed this

Code:
    VFS: Cannot open root device "sdb1" or unknown-block(0,0)
    Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown wn-block (0,0)
    Pid: 1, comm:swapper/0 Not tainted 3.2.0-39-generic-pac #62-Ubuntu
    I searched the forums but most solutions required a live cd and the computer has no cd-drive.
    Do I need to buy a new cd-drive or is there any other way to solve the issue?

I am a beginner to linux in general.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Booting LILO problem after Pingolin installation from the internet (no cd-drive)

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Please begin with a complete hardware description.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Re: Booting LILO problem after Pingolin installation from the internet (no cd-drive)

Hi
    I choose to use Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS because of the Long Time Support and because the computer already had Hardy so I assumed regular ubuntu would worked, I didnt upgrade from ubuntu because I wanted a clean install and I wanted to erase everything.

The computer is a desktop pc, I dont have the hardware specifications at hand, is there a way to look them up without a live cd?

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Just post everything you know and let's use Google from there.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts