Thread: setting socks proxy in terminal?

Beans

setting socks proxy in terminal?

hi sorry not sure if im in the right section here new to ubuntu, i am trying to make a batch file to launch an application through a socks proxy but cant find any info on how to set a system wide SOCKSproxy in a terminal does anyone know how to do this or know of a workaround would appreciate any help as i have looked everywhere thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: setting socks proxy in terminal?

Are you sure you really need to set a system wide proxy in order to launch an application? How are you trying to launch it? With ssh? ~/.ssh/config has an option ProxyCommand. I guess you can put netcat or socat command in there.

Beans

Re: setting socks proxy in terminal?

i was looking at ssh but cant find a good tut anywhere and when i try to stumboloe hrough it i just keep getting ssh options printed in terminal and although i dont need system wide settings this feture being builth in to ubuntu i tought i might be able to launch it with settings which has been the main focus so far surly there is just a bunc of commands i can feed into a terminal to achieve this my brain is just melted at this stage benn stuck on this for 2-3days aaaargh

Beans

Post Re: setting socks proxy in terminal?

k typicall when i post the question i find the answer to set system proxy from terminal in 12.04 you type
    gsettings set org.gnome.system.proxy.socks host '192.168.1.1′
    gsettings set org.gnome.system.proxy.socks port 8080
    gsettings set org.gnome.system.proxy mode ‘manual'
    Disable proxy setting from terminal in ubuntu 12.04

gsettings set org.gnome.system.proxy mode ‘none'

but this doesint work for 1210 i dont get error but when i launch the browser its dead nothing loads no bytes packets r bits not even a nibble get through
    i am using tor as localhost for testing. tor is working fine as i can use it thrugh foxyproxy

anyone know how i can get this to work?? t
    thanks