Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long time to boot

Beans

Lightbulb Long time to boot

I remember when I did my fresh installation on my new laptop Lenovo g580, the boot time was less than 14 seconds but now it has reach to 27 seconds and after splash screen I see fsck check as well. Is there any way to trace down the boot logs and speed up the boot process ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Long time to boot

Quote Originally Posted by ibrahim52 View Post
    I remember when I did my fresh installation on my new laptop Lenovo g580, the boot time was less than 14 seconds but now it has reach to 27 seconds and after splash screen I see fsck check as well. Is there any way to trace down the boot logs and speed up the boot process ?
    Please check your startup applications. Also did you install any servers like openfire, apache or any other which automatically start as your system start.
    Start up applications are mostly responsible for this. If you are on Ubuntu 12.04 or more then most of your startup applications are hidden from UI "Startup Applications". Please check for the files in /etc/xdg/X11/autostart. Don't remove any file unless you are very sure that you don't need it during startup. You can also share your list here, we'll try to help.

Beans

at-spi-dbus-bus.desktop
    bluetooth-applet.desktop
    bluetooth-applet-unity.desktop
    deja-dup-monitor.desktop
    gnome-fallback-mount-helper.desktop
    gnome-keyring-gpg.desktop
    gnome-keyring-pkcs11.desktop
    gnome-keyring-secrets.desktop
    gnome-keyring-ssh.desktop
    gnome-screensaver.desktop
    gnome-settings-daemon.desktop
    gnome-sound-applet.desktop
    gnome-user-share.desktop
    gsettings-data-convert.desktop
    gwibber.desktop
    nautilus-autostart.desktop
    nm-applet.desktop
    onboard-autostart.desktop
    orca-autostart.desktop
    polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1.desktop
    print-applet.desktop
    pulseaudio.desktop
    pulseaudio-kde.desktop
    telepathy-indicator.desktop
    ubuntuone-launch.desktop
    update-notifier.desktop
    user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop
    vino-server.desktop
    zeitgeist-datahub.desktop

According to UI application it is just PIDGIN and REMMINA

Beans

One more thing , FSCK also keeps running after splash screen, which takes more time to boot. I don't want to disable it but I used to have quick boot and safe Ubuntu. That's what I am looking for again.
    Last edited by ibrahim52; March 21st, 2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Adding more info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by c2tarun View Post
    Please check your startup applications. Also did you install any servers like openfire, apache or any other which automatically start as your system start.
    Start up applications are mostly responsible for this. If you are on Ubuntu 12.04 or more then most of your startup applications are hidden from UI "Startup Applications". Please check for the files in /etc/xdg/X11/autostart. Don't remove any file unless you are very sure that you don't need it during startup. You can also share your list here, we'll try to help.
    Useful information as I've often wondered where they were hidden.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ibrahim52 View Post
    hi
    sorry i can't be back off. 14 to 27 seconds - this must be a apocalypse. my opinion is: better for you to:
    but have fun
    cears
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rnerwein View Post
    hi
    sorry i can't be back off. 14 to 27 seconds - this must be a apocalypse. my opinion is: better for you to:
    but have fun
    cears
    hahaha lol, trust me I literally start "yawning" sometimes. if its Windows then it seems valid I can even take a bath and come back to use the desktop but Ubuntu is "quick" and if its slow then somethings wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Bootchart will help visualize the booting process. If the fsck happening because your disk is having a problem? Linux requires a clean filesystem before booting. If your filesystem is unclean (now a different problem to troubleshoot) then fsck will take some time to check the integrity of the inode tables and overall health of the filesystem before booting.

tgalati4@Mint14-Extensa ~/Desktop $ apt-cache search bootchart
    bootchart - boot sequence auditing
    pybootchartgui - boot sequence visualisation
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

So should I install and run it after a boot ?

Beans

This is what comes up during the boot between splash screen and the login screen. It stays for 10 seconds atleast processing everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast