Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Ubuntu Be Installed on a Dell D630 Laptop?

Beans

Question Can Ubuntu Be Installed on a Dell D630 Laptop?

Can Ubuntu be installed on a Dell D630 laptop computer?

Can it be installed on any Dell laptop computer?

If so, what is the procedure to do so?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Can Ubuntu Be Installed on a Dell D630 Laptop?

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBrooklyn View Post
    Can Ubuntu be installed on a Dell D630 laptop computer?
    I searched on the net for this model and it looks this model is a bit older since this is currently unavailable.
    http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/latitude-d630/pd

I think Ubuntu can be installed on this laptop. But, I would like you to first check the system requirements
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements
    You would be glad to know that there is even light-weight Ubuntu (lubuntu) OS available that don't consume much of the resources
    You can also use Ubuntu 10.04 rather than using Ubuntu 12.04 or Ubuntu 12.10

No I dont think so. Ubuntu can only be installed on those systems which fulfill the system-requirements criteria.

If so, what is the procedure to do so?
    Please refer
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Regards,
    Abhinav

Beans
    Hidden!

According to this link http://www.cnet.com/laptops/dell-latitude-d630/4505-3121_7-32445398.html

your computer has a core2duo processor and at least 512 MB ram and intel graphics. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and 12.10 should work, but if less than 768 MB ram, you need the alternate iso to make the install CD/USB drive.

But as indicated by Abhinav Kumar, it will run much better with Lubuntu or Xubuntu, which has the same ubuntu linux engine under the hood, but ultra-light LXDE or light XFCE desktop environments. If you have 2 GB of ram (or more), you will get reasonably good performance running Ubuntu with Unity or Kubuntu with KDE.

If you have at least 768 MB ram, you should download the standard desktop iso files and try them live before deciding what to install.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Abhinav Kumar View Post

No I dont think so. Ubuntu can only be installed on those systems which fulfill the system-requirements criteria.

Please refer
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

Regards,
    Abhinav
    I think you said 'No' here by mistake. Ubuntu can be installed on all Dell laptop computers which fulfill the system-requirements criteria. I am using ubuntu on dell inspiron N4010

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

English is ambiguous.
    If any=every: no
    If any=at least one: yes

It depends on the specific hardware, like CPU, RAM, graphics, wifi. If something is incompatible that component may not work satisfactory.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

In hardware there are four sticky threads describing what is known to work and known not to work.

Please take a look and feel free to add your observations.
    Last edited by mörgæs; March 20th, 2013 at 03:24 PM.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The way we find out if Ubuntu can be installed on our machine is to download an ISO image and burn it to DVD/USB stick and try running it as a Live Session. Things will run a little slower because the operating system is not being loaded from the hard disk but at least we can find out if our hardware (wireless and stuff) is supported. Doing this is a good way to find out if there will be any issues with installing Ubuntu. Then we can research in advance to solve the problems when they happen.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...g-term-support
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Question Re: Can Ubuntu Be Installed on a Dell D630 Laptop?

Hi. Thanks for the informative responses.

To elaborate a little:
    I am shopping for a pre-owned laptop to use primarily for watching internet streaming video wirelessly and portably in my home. In particular, the MIT OpenCourseWare videos and similar ones, if it matters.

I'm not actually tied to a Dell D630 with 2GB of RAM. Since posting this thread, I have found several other notebook models from around the same era (2007ish) that fit the budget and I think will suit the desired purpose. Some of those are the:

Dell D620 (precursor to the D630)
    Dell E6400 (successor to the D630)
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    HP Elitebook model=?

Also, I may be able to find a notebook with 4GB or more of RAM, which I would greatly prefer to 2GB, which is the minimum I am considering to get.

Can Ubuntu or any Linux distros take advantage of more than 3 GB of RAM?

If I'm not mistaken, only 64bit operating systems can do that.

It would be a bonus if I could efficiently run Mathcad, Maple, Mathlab or Mathematica, or some GNU equivilent; and google Sketch-Up or some other architectural design and CAD programs.
    Last edited by TomBrooklyn; March 21st, 2013 at 03:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have a 6 year old Toshiba with 1.5GB of RAM. I run the 64bit version, 1.5GB of RAM is "offically" too small for 64 bit, but it runs full Ubuntu with fallback or gnome-panel not Unity without any real issue. With that amount of RAM I occasionally open too many apps at once and see swap used and some slowdown.

If you have over 2GB of RAM install the 64bit version. But the 32bit versions will sort of use over 3GB of RAM with PAE, but that is a kluge, but better than not using it at all.
    Linus does not like PAE or 32 bit.
    http://cl4ssic4l.wordpress.com/2011/...lds-about-pae/
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi. Thanks for the informative responses.

To elaborate a little:
    I am shopping for a pre-owned laptop to use primarily for watching internet streaming video wirelessly and portably in my home. In particular, the MIT OpenCourseWare videos and similar ones, if it matters.

I'm not actually tied to a Dell D630 with 2GB of RAM. Since posting this thread, I have found several other notebook models from around the same era (2007ish) that fit the budget and I think will suit the desired purpose. Some of those are the:

Dell D620 (precursor to the D630)
    Dell E6400 (successor to the D630)
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    HP Elitebook model=?
    The hardware of a Dell D630 with 2GB of RAM is enough to stream such video, particularly if you have several desktop environments, and select a light-weight one when you need speed, for example lubuntu-desktop (LXDE) or the simple window manager Openbox.

Also, I may be able to find a notebook with 4GB or more of RAM, which I would greatly prefer to 2GB, which is the minimum I am considering to get.

Can Ubuntu or any Linux distros take advantage of more than 3 GB of RAM?
    Yes, with pae it takes care of 4 GB of RAM without problems

If I'm not mistaken, only 64bit operating systems can do that.
    With more than 4 GB of RAM, you are definitely better off with 64 bit systems. But don't worry about it. Download iso files of both versions (32 and 64 bits) and try them live (booted from the install CD/DVD/USB drive) before you decide what to install. Furthermore, consider more flavours than standard Ubuntu: Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu

It would be a bonus if I could efficiently run Mathcad, Maple, Mathlab or Mathematica, or some GNU equivilent; and google Sketch-Up or some other architectural design and CAD programs.
    Most of those programs have been around long enough to be possible to run on rather old hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast