Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: security with ubuntu live dvd

Beans

Re: security with ubuntu live dvd

Quote Originally Posted by rchubcitywihwy1480 View Post
    i will wait till i get another one to avoid an unknown
    I don't understand what you're hoping to accomplish with the live CD.

If you want to have a secure setup then read the stickies in this forum and the basic security wiki.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

Beans

i gather that the purpose is to run it from the dvd without install, if that is true, and leaves a vulnerability as stated, i have to much on 2 of my systems to risk a a stated issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thumbs up Re: security with ubuntu live dvd

I'm not certain that
    leaves a vulnerability as stated
    is intended to be interpreted as once you boot from the live dvd and after testing boot to original OS that the vulnerability REMAINS.
    If the nature of your system(s) is so delicate or valuable it probably isn't a good idea to test anything on them, but rather have a 'test' system that mirrors on of the other 2 for complete testing and validation.

Beans

Some distros I believe provide a livecd that by default boots into a user account (PCLOS for one I seem to recall) with a root password (root) to permit install.

You can make a fresh livecd from an up to date installation (eg with mylivecd on PCLOS, or remastersys). You'll finish up with a lot of useless cd's though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use remastersys and I only have 2 dvds - one rw for each pc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Only if you create it with persistence. Otherwise it acts just like a livecd.
    No persistence needed on a full installation to the usb stick itself (16 and 32 GB sticks mentioned above your post). Only problem is usb sticks can fail pretty quickly with all the read/writes of a full OS install. No issues with out of date software/security issues that the OP had though with a full install as earlier suggested (zemega's post).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coldcritter64 View Post
    No persistence needed on a full installation to the usb stick itself (16 and 32 GB sticks mentioned above your post). Only problem is usb sticks can fail pretty quickly with all the read/writes of a full OS install. No issues with out of date software/security issues that the OP had though with a full install as earlier suggested (zemega's post).
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

I've always thought of USB sticks are the equivalent to livecds, not a full install.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks.

I've always thought of USB sticks are the equivalent to livecds, not a full install.
    You can go either way actually 1. a live dvd on usb, with or without persistence or 2. do a full install to a usb. With the 2nd option the lack of security and updated OS aren't a problem for the OP; only problem is usb sticks have failed on me after a few months with the load of a full installation.

To avoid data/system losses because of hardware failures on a full usb installation, I regularly "dd" the usb stick to an image file (*.img). This is like a rolling backup, as a usb stick goes very "funky" very quickly if it fails . Cheers.
    Last edited by coldcritter64; March 22nd, 2013 at 10:06 PM. Reason: specified image and "img" file for clarity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I had my windows7 system compromised (read: totally utterly pwned by eastern european hackers) I used the ubuntu cd to be able to change passwords/send emails.

I didn't want to alter anything in the hard drive so the police could run their forensic tools.

Here's the best method IMO:

dump the live cd into ram (boot parameter to_ram I believe)

activate firefox's aa profile

download a firewall and harden it

now how can they compromise your system? what services are they going to exploit? how can they exploit anything?

even without a root password a live session is secure enough

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123