Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is it possible, that I can install only Ubuntu distros

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How is it possible, that I can install only Ubuntu distros

How is it possible, that my netbook (Asus X201E - KX006H) only accepts Ubuntu based distros (like Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu etc..). I tried installing various number of linuxes, like Mint, Arch, Fedora, Debian, Backtrack. I tried installing both with Secure Boot enabled/disabled. Even different architectures (I have x64 and tried even x32).
    The problem is during first part of installation - copying files.
    I am not dissapointed with my Xubuntu, but I am very curious about why it does not work..
    Thank you for every anwser..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How is it possible, that I can install only Ubuntu distros

not sure on the problem

but i have found it very easy to install linux mint & ubuntu
    i run both new LTS and they are on 2 machines

mint installs easy as does 12.04 ubuntu

what i find amazing my ubuntu machine runs nicely on i gig of ram

my mint machine has 4 and it flies

the one thing i have learned using linux os. it gives you more longevity out of your pc machines

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

That's strange, I have Asus X201E (KX092D), i buy it three week ago.

First time i buy it, i install PCLinuxOS 2013 ( i love it, my desktop pc use it), but this distro doesn't have good support with this laptop, my usb port on right side not working, and various other problem.
    Then i try Ubuntu 12.04, wow it's working , unbeliveble, just brightness key is not working, but i can tweak it with editing Grub command line.
    Then because in Asus website from my caountry, this Asus X201E in the spec info have Bluetooth, and Ubuntu doesn't detect it, then i install Windows 8 premium trial, but afeter try install two type driver bluetooth, still cannot detect and one driver say i don't have bluetooth in my Asus X201E (in bios is Asus X201EP).
    Then one again i install Kubuntu 12.10 , i like KDE then Gnome or Unity, but with KDE, my Fn+WiFI and Fn+Disable Touchpad not working, i hope KDE or Kbuntu gonna support it.
    Then i dual boot with Fedora 18 and after using it for saveral days, i go back to Ubuntu, because Ubuntu still the best.
    Then just recently, i dual boot with OpenSUSE 12.3 , i delete my Fedora 18 and use the partition for OpenSUSE.
    And after using saveral days, this OpenSUSE have some bugs with its sofware installer and KDE, and then in OpenSUSE repos doesn't have a lot of sftware that i use.
    So i go back with my Kubuntu 12.10

edit:
    oh i forget to tell you, before try Windows 8, i have try Linux Mint too, but i don't like it, i don't remember what make me dislike it, but Ubuntu still much better.
    And I Always using legacy whe install it, in bios i choose po:kingstone , i install os using Flashdisk Kingstone Data Traveller 8GB.
    Sometimes when booting i have boot error, because the bios i always falling bac to ufi when i choose po , but after i update the bios to version 2.0.8, the problem is gone.
    Last edited by tux-gamer; March 20th, 2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I believe Secure boot is likely your problem. You might have to patch your kernel. I've only ever installed Arch and Ubuntu and I know that there is a lot of discussion about secure boot.

Beans

Probably because ubuntu contains code that others don't. You have to remember Canonical has a lot of resources compared to other distros. That's why I stay with it because it always works for me.

Beans
    Distro

I know that Ubuntu distros are the best ones, but still kind of wondering why that does not work.. I have tried with/without secure boot installing lot of linux distros.. but exept ubuntu dist. nothing..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You might have to wait for NEW versions of those OSes. For example, try Linux Mint 15 when it comes out. Arch should have installed with no issue, double check the install guide. In fact, try the beginners guide instead. The distros' bootloaders have to be signed in order to get by the secureboot restrictions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Not all distributions are updated to handle secure boot.

The State Of Linux Distributions Handling Secure Boot
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI2MzI
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

thanks oldfred

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Because Ubuntu is better. j/k

I assume that by "Netbook" you mean "My laptop is super tiny, and great, but has no CD drive, so I installed off a usb stick"

I have had odd problems from time to time installing from a USB stick, reguardless of what distro.
    (But especially, if I tried to make a USB stick for a non-Ubuntu distro, while on an Ubuntu machine)

So before you pull out too much hair, I would try installing off a CD, even if it means you need to dig up an external cd rom for your netbook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast