Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu to halve support length for non-LTS releases

Beans

Re: Ubuntu to halve support length for non-LTS releases

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Well I do prefer cutting edge but I an not upgrading every 6 months. Usually I keep a Ubuntu release for a year and upgrade with ppas or compiling. I find it the best of all worlds.
    There's always Debian...

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    There's always Debian...
    Debian doesn't have a rich ppa ecology like in Ubuntu. That is a main reason I stick to Ubuntu, another reason that I prefer Ubuntu is Unity. Some drivers are also a pain to install in Debian.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; March 19th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    There's always Debian...
    With Debian Sid even a rolling release

Beans

I've never had any desire to run a non-LTS release after the next one was rolled out. This only reinforces the importance of LTS for those who don't want to be on the upgrade train.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If they want to steer people towards using LTS they had better make sure that they are kept up to date. 12.04 is already becoming old and many bug fixes and enhancements in 12.10 have not been backported. With thisrelease cycle I can see ppas for non LTS drying up too as people may not be bothered to maintain software just for 9 months.
    Unless a change in version breaks some dependency, I think the PPAs are pretty much automated - you just upload the source code, and Canonical's servers generate a working .deb for a bunch of versions.

I may be mistaken, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Debian doesn't have a rich ppa ecology like in Ubuntu. That is a main reason I stick to Ubuntu, another reason that I prefer Ubuntu is Unity. Some drivers are also a pain to install in Debian.
    Also, we have the upcoming Ubuntu phone and Ubuntu tablet. I would like the Ubuntu phone!
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

I used to like PPAs but they can become a pain to manage. I prefer Arch's AUR to PPAs in all honesty. I'm currently installing crunchbang waldorf on my laptop (which is wheezy) and I'm happy with not having PPAs. My laptop I want stable without hiccups. Desktop I run Manjaro for newer packages. I've also seen so many PPAs with the same stuff that you are not always sure which one to pick from a maintenance perspective.
    Last edited by mips; March 20th, 2013 at 12:34 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Ubuntu to halve support length for non-LTS releases

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    I've never had any desire to run a non-LTS release after the next one was rolled out. This only reinforces the importance of LTS for those who don't want to be on the upgrade train.
    That would be me!
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

I am not sure if this will play out though, as why release packages for interim releases and such if they are not going to be supported as long?

There should be more done for the backports project if this is how things are going to roll, as why bother with a new release if its obsolete so soon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

In addition, Development is supposed to switch over to the rolling release style (no upgrade needed to continue to the next development release) although it's not going to be called "rolling"....
    That is the other decision that was made as stated in this article...and it starts with ubuntu 13.04 development and going forth from there...
    http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/ubunt...d-meeting.html
    Last edited by craig10x; March 20th, 2013 at 02:41 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast