Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot install Ubuntu 12.04 on HP Pavillion

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Cannot install Ubuntu 12.04 on HP Pavillion

Quote Originally Posted by rdh61 View Post
    I also began the installation without quiet splash, to see at what point it stalled, and got this;

b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode.5fw" not found.
    b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43-open/ucode.5fw" not found.
    b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/...devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.

I will have a look at this now.
    I've now looked at this. But how on earth am I supposed to install the required packages when I haven't yet installed Ubuntu itself???!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Have you tried both the generic or the Radeon setting. Link is old, but video issues are still the same.

Some other settings:
    http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/...up-workaround/

• Older Intel video card: i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0 newer: i915.i915_enable_rc6=1
    • nVidia: nomodeset
    • Generic: xforcevesa or nouveau.modeset=0
    • Radeon: radeon.modeset=0
    I have now tried the Radeon setting and both of the generic settings with the same (negative) result. The sticking point is always the same as that described previously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wiped hard drive and installed fresh Windows XP. Now trying to install Ubuntu alongside Windows so I can dual boot.
    So then can't you just use Wubi, although I still don't understand the difference from dual booting from the CD or using Wubi.
    Lenovo G570- Intel i3 with Windows 8/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    Acer Aspire One- Intel Atom with Windows 8/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tejpatel98 View Post
    So then can't you just use Wubi, although I still don't understand the difference from dual booting from the CD or using Wubi.
    Wubi installs Ubuntu on the Windows partition. This apparently slows it down and makes it more vulnerable to crashes and hard boots. I would much prefer my Linux on a separate partition. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I am hopeful that this may provide a solution...

Boot option: b43.blacklist=yes

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1966655

I'll try it out tonight.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

The boot option b43.blacklist=yes allowed the installation to proceed (I decided to install Lubuntu, as it's an old computer).

But then I came up against another problem.

The installer did not give me the option to install alongside Windows, only to replace Windows or "something else". "Something else" did not allow me to take space from my Windows partition (the whole disk) for the Lubuntu installation. I resolved the problem by using a partitioning tool within Windows to create some unallocated space.

Developers, if you read this, this is poor. Ubuntu is making worthy efforts to expand the awareness and use of Linux OS. But if I were the average computer user, with limited technical knowledge or experience, first time trying Linux, I would have thought, "Well, if they can't even get the installation to work properly it's got to be dodgy, I'm not going to be bothered with it."
    Last edited by rdh61; March 20th, 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12