Thread: Updated kernel won't boot in RR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Updated kernel won't boot in RR.

Same updates, but for me is still does not boot with 3.8 kernel, stuck in busybox. Also the livecd is no help for me, same result.
    The 3.8 kernel does not see any of my disks, only the CDROM drive. I have AMD 890FX chipset.
    If, from grub i chose old Oneric kernel 3.5.0.26 all is working fine in Raring.

What can i do?
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New udev (175-0ubuntu20) in RR proposed

Quote Originally Posted by mdalacu View Post
    Same updates, but for me is still does not boot with 3.8 kernel, stuck in busybox. Also the livecd is no help for me, same result.
    The 3.8 kernel does not see any of my disks, only the CDROM drive. I have AMD 890FX chipset.
    If, from grub i chose old Oneric kernel 3.5.0.26 all is working fine in Raring.

What can i do?
    Thank you.
    Did You re-create initramfs images for all kernels?
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -ck all
    or at least for kernel You want to try?
    Usually only newest kernel get itsinitramfs image recreated automatically...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Did You re-create initramfs images for all kernels?
    Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -ck all
    or at least for kernel You want to try?
    Usually only newest kernel get itsinitramfs image recreated automatically...
    The initramfs image file size is correct and i already had 2 kernel updates 3.8.0.12 and 3.8.0.13. I have also rebuild it with the same file size and result. Alos the live CD , if i choose Try Ubuntu does not work, same result. If i wait a little longer and type exit in busybox, same result.
    I think that is something wrong with 3.8 kernel that none of my sata hdd does not get listed in /dev, only the CD ROM. I reiterate that using 3.5 kernel i have no problems in Raring.
    I have attached the output from lshw.
    What else can i do? How can i investigate that indeed it is a problem with 3.8 kernel or something is wrong with my setup?
    Thank you very much.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sorry to interrupt, but this discussion (original thread) is not about kernel issues.
    This was supposed to be a thread concerning issues with new udev and libudev (from systemd) and the compatibility of initramfs-tools to such new environment.
    As this issue is completely solved now, it would be a better idea to open up a new thread regarding other issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Harry33 View Post
    Sorry to interrupt, but this discussion (original thread) is not about kernel issues.
    This was supposed to be a thread concerning issues with new udev and libudev (from systemd) and the compatibility of initramfs-tools to such new environment.
    As this issue is completely solved now, it would be a better idea to open up a new thread regarding other issues.
    You're right. The only reason that I enterd this talk was to help to create new kernel images... Just because there is sort of problem with that because upgrade process do update-initramfs on newest kernel not on the one that is currently being used... It might create confusion sometimes... I've resolved that with myself years ago but confusion is still present with other users... That is the point that I considered on-topic in this thread abd reason I wrote my posts here...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Updated kernel won't boot in RR.

Moved to own thread.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...