Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Mir vs. Wayland & effect on Linux "Ecosystem"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Does anyone else feel like Ubuntu is an Open Source Windows in making

Hi friends, I read this article and my feelings are the title of the thread. Please share what do you think about the article?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Mir vs. Wayland & effect on Linux "Ecosystem"?

merged thread
    Death was standing behind a lectern, poring over a map. He looked at Mort as if he wasn't entirely there.
    You haven't heard of the Bay of Mante, have you? he said.
    'No, sir,' said Mort.
    'Famous shipwreck there.'
    'Was there?'
    'There will be', said Death, 'if I can find the damn place.'

Beans

Wayland is the new Xserver mir is a google based Unity Only Ubuntu Server so who knows whats going to be the new standard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Gyokuro View Post
    if you compare the posted specification of MIR/UnityNext you will see it is somehow only a clone of Google's Chrome OS
    If that's true it's not that surprising, given that Canonical have said they've been providing Google with "engineering support" on a contractor basis. It's a bit vague what that support is, but it's not unreasonable that Google might have turned to the biggest desktop Linux distro when putting a bit of shine onto their own desktop Linux effort (especially since Chrome OS doesn't use X either).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    If that's true it's not that surprising, given that Canonical have said they've been providing Google with "engineering support" on a contractor basis. It's a bit vague what that support is, but it's not unreasonable that Google might have turned to the biggest desktop Linux distro when putting a bit of shine onto their own desktop Linux effort (especially since Chrome OS doesn't use X either).
    In the future Google probably plan to use surfaceflinger but today I'm pretty sure google use X11 in chrome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    But isn't that, in effect, "choosing" Ubuntu? Ubuntu users could quickly download Stream via the download manager. For a short time the first official release of Steam "on Linux" wasn't initially available to other distros unless you were knowledgeable enough to manually install it. If what JDShu writes is correct, then even with MIR it will be business as usual.
    They selected Ubuntu as their first supported linux platform. We really don't now what that mean in long term. Especially after they release their expected "steambox". Games don't need a advanced windows management. They are probably fine with Xorg in short and middle term. And if they switch display server they need to get the game developer on the train. If we wait maybe two years before the new display servers has stabilized, they has released their steam <whatever it is>, they has a bunch of game developer in steam. I suspect it can take time before they support either wayland or MIR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by hainen View Post
    In the future Google probably plan to use surfaceflinger but today I'm pretty sure google use X11 in chrome.
    I may well be mistaken then. I thought they'd rolled their own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I don't even see the point about arguing about this. To be honest, I don't see X11 being replaced by either in the near future anyways. Both Wayland and Mir are no where near prime time (especially Mir). Don't get me wrong, we do need a new display server, but we are years away from anything being ready. So lets revisit this conversation two years from now when they are both still probably will not be ready, where X11 will still be going along and still doing the job.

I also do not see what the big deal about Canonical wanting to create their on display server... if they want to create there own display server, let them. If it is better than what is out there people will use it, if not then they won't... simple.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    I don't even see the point about arguing about this. To be honest, I don't see X11 being replaced by either in the near future anyways. Both Wayland and Mir are no where near prime time (especially Mir). Don't get me wrong, we do need a new display server, but we are years away from anything being ready. So lets revisit this conversation two years from now when they are both still probably will not be ready, where X11 will still be going along and still doing the job.

I also do not see what the big deal about Canonical wanting to create their on display server... if they want to create there own display server, let them. If it is better than what is out there people will use it, if not then they won't... simple.
    +1 to your post which express in a very good way why at the moment there is no real need for a replacement in such a short time. The requirements for the mobile space is different and I think the driving forces are here Google with Android and Tizen (which will boom in Asia like crazy) and we should not forget there is also another force which do not jump at MIR/Wayland in the next time - commerical Unices (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX,..) the clocks there tick different. NVidia ported their drivers to Linux not for people who like to play games, they have done it as HPC people wanted to use the technology (CUDA) for their expensive hardware to run their various simulations with GPU support - that's were the money is - the coporations, governments and other big institutions and RedHat has a good reputation to deliver technology and have developers who are active in delivering software technolgies and supporting upstream projects with their various developers. That should not be an advertisement for RedHat but this company is doing for opensource and it's spirit much more as Canonical. MIR is only Canonicals requirement to bring on their idea to the mobile space.

Beans

Wanted to post this link since it's a pretty good picture of where some of the other major communities out there stand with regard to Mir, and how it may affect other DE's and so forth:

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/arch...comment-400682

That's a comment from Aaron Seigo (lead developer for KDE/plasma desktop) on one of Mark's blog posts about Canonical's new directions and how it affects the community. Interesting reading, since this is a perspective from actual developers, not just users, journalist, or blogger cranks.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast