Thread: Does changes in kernel mean recompiling entire kernel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does changes in kernel mean recompiling entire kernel?

Hello Friends,
    I am currently working on SELinux. I have to make some changes to the SELinux package and not the SELinux policy. I compiled the Ubuntu precise kernel, and now i am running it. If i make changes to the kernel, do i have to recompile the entire kernel again? That would be very tedious. I have used 'sudo make modules_install' while installing. Kindly let me know that if it's not necessary to compile the entire kernel, then how and what should i compile for the changes to take place. Thank you for your time.
    Love how the world of Linux is so awesome, where one can just see how its done, its like peeking inside a civilization and seeing how they work in their day to day life, how they progress, how they evolve, how they communicate...!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Does changes in kernel mean recompiling entire kernel?

Hi akshay.sulakhe,

recompiling the Kernel is not as bad as it seems. Typically, you will only touch very few source files and only these will be recompiled by the make system. All in all, the process should be *much* faster than the initial building of the kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Does changes in kernel mean recompiling entire kernel?

Good, I hope gedit wil register those timestamps and make can identify..If the make is successful and there are no errors, then i have to run make modules_install and make install. Do i need a restart after this???
    Love how the world of Linux is so awesome, where one can just see how its done, its like peeking inside a civilization and seeing how they work in their day to day life, how they progress, how they evolve, how they communicate...!!!