Thread: Internet Explorer in Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Internet Explorer in Ubuntu 12.04

I need Internet Explorer 6 on my Ubuntu machine to run a specific web based program. I have installed IE 6 using playonlinux/wine, but the problem is that, when I am starting IE 6 it open Microsoft site by default and it's asking to update IE. A dialog box pops up and asking me save a file. When I click save, IE 6 window is gone and I can't use that browser.

How can I get rid of this problem? I need to solve this very badly. Please help anyone. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Internet Explorer in Ubuntu 12.04

NEW update:

Just now I have successfully change the homepage. But the problem is that, when I am trying to visit any site using IE it showing the following message:

HTML Code:
    You are downloading the file: / from www.google.com

Would you like to open the file or save it to your computer?
    when I click OPEN is shows there is no program in my machine to that type of file and if click on cancel then nothing happens, the IE window remain blank. Final result is that I can't browse any site with that!!!!

Please help anyone!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi, first, what exactly are you needing to do from IE? If you need something like "Silverlight" You are pretty much out of luck unless you try something like compolio's edition.
    Please explain in more detail what you are attempting to do.

The quick option is to create a virtual machine of Windows (if you have a CD) and run the real IE in your virtual machine. That is pretty much the best way to run IE in Ubuntu, however, you need a specific kind of processor for it to work really well.

(p.s. for urgent things I'd suggest IRC chat. #ubuntu on freenode!!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Sorry, but having to use IE in Linux is a really bad place to be. The version that POL installs is V6 -- and MS has made it clear that it's their mission to eliminate the use of IE V6. So, you're most likely going to get that prompt every time you run IE in Linux.

As you can see in the linked page from the WineHQ website, very few versions of IE actually work well in Linux:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ication&iId=25

You could try upgrading to IE V7 -- if you're running 32-bit.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.