Thread: apt-get unable to locate alien package in Ubunutu-12.04

Beans

Post apt-get unable to locate alien package in Ubunutu-12.04

Hi Ubunuters,

I have to install following rpm packages in my ubunut-12.04 with x86_64 system

kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.x86_64.rpm
    kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.x86_64.rpm
    kernel-headers-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.x86_64.rpm

So I tried to install "alien" to convert rpms to debs. I tried to install using :sudo apt-get install alien hower I got an error - E: Unable to locate package alien.

Next I tried to down load alien tar.gz package and manage to install it. Then when I tried to run the following command:
    sudo alien kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.x86_64.rpm it gave me the following error msg.
    ---------
    sh: 1: rpm: not found
    Error executing "LANG=C rpm -qp --queryformat %{NAME} 'kernel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.x86_64.rpm'": at /usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2/Alien/Package.pm line 489
    ------------

then I tried googling and did some experiment to get things done howevre no hope.

Please suggest me a diamond like solution.

Thanks and cheers
    JaYnArAyAn
    ------

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: apt-get unable to locate alien package in Ubunutu-12.04

You do know that 12.04 is using kernel 3.2.0-38 currently.
    If you need to use an older kernel you should look for .deb packages which are native to debian/ubuntu.
    If you do install that old of a kernel in 12.04 you are going to run into all kinds of dependency issues,
    and conflicts with packages and abi's etc. It may be possible to do this but I doubt if it would be easy.

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish or why but you may need to rethink what you are doing
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!