Thread: Problem using fsck

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Problem using fsck

Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 12.04.

I want to check and if necessary repair my file system. I gather I can use fsck to do this. Many of the instructions I have seen to do this begin with running the following command as root, to "take the system down to run level one" (whatever that means):

Code:
    # init 1
    When I do this, I get a purple screen with the Ubuntu logo and the white/red dots. To begin with the latter turn over, then they freeze and nothing else happens. At that point I have to restart my computer.

Can someone advise?

Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Problem using fsck

You must unmout the filesystem in order to check it and you cannot unmount a live filesystem, even in init 1. Solution here.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks. How do I view the outcome of the check?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I... don't know. It may end up in some logfile somewhere but I don't know. If you want to see that, another solution is to use a liveCD (Ubuntu or Knoppix or any Linux), boot with it, then DON'T mount your drive, do "fdisk -l /dev/sda" to verify that it's the proper disk, then "fsck /dev/sda1". You probably need sudo in front of those two commands. Then reboot.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dargaud View Post
    I... don't know. It may end up in some logfile somewhere but I don't know. If you want to see that, another solution is to use a liveCD (Ubuntu or Knoppix or any Linux), boot with it, then DON'T mount your drive, do "fdisk -l /dev/sda" to verify that it's the proper disk, then "fsck /dev/sda1". You probably need sudo in front of those two commands. Then reboot.
    +1

This is for linux ext2, ext3 and ext4 file systems. Make sure the drive is not mounted, run
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sdxy
    where x is the drive letter and y is the partition number. -f means force a check, even if the first scan reveals no errors. You will get output to the terminal window, and in some cases a prompt to accept or deny a repair action.

If it is a FAT or NTFS file system, it is best to check it from Windows using
    Code:
    chkdsk /f X:
    where X: is the volume letter.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks.