Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [HOWTO:] Grub set it delay of 1 and cannot load xubuntu to fix it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Grub set it delay of 1 and cannot load xubuntu to fix it!

You could also use "Super GRUB2 Disk", it's really easy:
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/categor...2diskdownload/

Download the ISO, you could burn to a CD(RW); there's also a USB download, but I haven't tried it.
    You'll want to boot from the CD/USB, then choose the option "Detect any OS". It'll detect and list the different boot options, like Linux and Windows.

Using this will allow you to boot from your installed Ubuntu, and you'll be able to revert the changes you've made to the GRUB files. Try the software "GRUB-Customizer" if you want a GUI.

Super GRUB2 Disk is extremely useful, when GRUB get replaced by another bootloader.
    Last edited by GameX2; March 20th, 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Unhappy Re: Grub set it delay of 1 and cannot load xubuntu to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    You would need to chroot into your installed system in order to update-grub from a live cd, I think:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/14524...-from-a-livecd

Otherwise even if you mount your installed system and modify its /etc/default/grub, that change wont be written into the bootloader
    I gave this a shot and you wouldn't believe the bad luck I was having.

1. I could not find my usb with xubuntu boot-loader on it
    2. I found a usb with Ubuntu boot-loader on it so I plugged it into the computer and got a xubuntu boot-loader installer running
    3. As I waited patiently I found that I was using an ancient USB 2.0 device in a USB 3.0 port: can you get any slower?!
    4. It finally finished and I booted my computer with it.
    5. I hit ctrl + alt + t and the explorer process broke
    6. My faulty USB shifted slightly and it disconnected, stopping the process from restarting or anything from working.
    7. I tried to shut down the computer safely and it ended up in an endless loop.
    8. I was forced to hold the power button down until it went off.
    9. The bootloader was then broken.

I guess I better give this another shot...
    But USB is such a slow connection...
    I accidentally erased my hard drive and windows in my first ever attempt at installing Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

With a Super GRUB 2 Disk, you could boot into Ubuntu even when GRUB is wiped - then you'll be able to use Boot-Repair to fix the bootloader. Just a suggestion I find really easy.
    Good luck.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Grub set it delay of 1 and cannot load xubuntu to fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by GameX2 View Post
    You could also use "Super GRUB2 Disk", it's really easy:
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/categor...2diskdownload/

Download the ISO, you could burn to a CD(RW); there's also a USB download, but I haven't tried it.
    You'll want to boot from the CD/USB, then choose the option "Detect any OS". It'll detect and list the different boot options, like Linux and Windows.

Using this will allow you to boot from your installed Ubuntu, and you'll be able to revert the changes you've made to the GRUB files. Try the software "GRUB-Customizer" if you want a GUI.

Super GRUB2 Disk is extremely useful, when GRUB get replaced by another bootloader.
    Does this mean I can use the universal usb startup disk installer to install "Super GRUB2 Disk" and then boot xubuntu and simply modify the grub file manually?

And once I do one of these things (which ever I chose) and I modify the grub file, what is the safe delay I can set it to? Grub delay of 0 is obviously near instant, Grub delay of 1 seems like it is nearly instant and for some reason in the time you cannot modify anything. Is Grub delay of 3 safe? Would holding down the up arrow, or spamming it, or just a fast reflex press be fast enough before the computer boots automatically.
    I accidentally erased my hard drive and windows in my first ever attempt at installing Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaMiller0 View Post
    Does this mean I can use the universal usb startup disk installer to install "Super GRUB2 Disk" and then boot xubuntu and simply modify the grub file manually?

And once I do one of these things (which ever I chose) and I modify the grub file, what is the safe delay I can set it to? Grub delay of 0 is obviously near instant, Grub delay of 1 seems like it is nearly instant and for some reason in the time you cannot modify anything. Is Grub delay of 3 safe? Would holding down the up arrow, or spamming it, or just a fast reflex press be fast enough before the computer boots automatically.
    I don't know about the Universal USB Installer, sorry. I would recommend you to simply burn the ISO file on a CD-RW (There's also a Floppy image availible), using a program such as InfraRecord or IMGBurn for Windows, or Brasero for Linux. There's also a way to install it on a USB drive (Assuming your PC support booting from USB), but I haven't tried it.

As for the delay, I guess 3 seconds is OK, but.. try it?
    Honnestly, with the Super GRUB2 Disk, when GRUB get wiped or innacessible, there's absolutely no reason to panic anymore. I find it extremely useful (Even for a 1.44 MB ISO!).

When you've booted in Ubuntu, install BootRepaire, then choose the first option (Quick fix, something similar). Tell us how it goes!

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
    Good luck
    Last edited by GameX2; March 22nd, 2013 at 01:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    You would need to chroot into your installed system in order to update-grub from a live cd, I think:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/14524...-from-a-livecd

Otherwise even if you mount your installed system and modify its /etc/default/grub, that change wont be written into the bootloader
    I finally got a working livecd and followed this tutorial. It didn't entirely work, but when I restarted the computer it has reset the grub default to 0 and the grub delay was still 1. This would have been a problem if I didn't have xubuntu first in the list. When I loaded xubuntu I just opened and edited the grub file before updating it and now my computer works just fine. Thanks a lot to everyone who helped, I greatly appreciate being able to use xubuntu!

-Josh.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12