Thread: Broadcom 4401 and no internet access

Beans

Broadcom 4401 and no internet access

Just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a Dell Inspiron 8500. It has no wireless hardware. lspci tells me the ethernet controller is bcm4401. Because I have no driver, the box is mute and without an internet connection. On another computer, I downloaded what I believe to be the correct linux driver from the Broadcom site. Unfortunately, it's a tar.gz file. I have followed the instructions to the letter six times yesterday and six times today without being able to install the driver. The driver package also contains an rpm but I have no idea how to install that. So, I need a debian/ubuntu installer for the bcm4401 driver that I can download to usb and move to the mute box. Any idea where I can get that or what I should do? I googled other distros that come with broadcom drivers and have downloaded a couple but haven't tried those yet because I would prefer unbuntu on this box. It runs well and fast and the graphics are great. Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Broadcom 4401 and no internet access

There is probably a better way. Please run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0200
    sudo modprobe b44
    dmesg | grep b44
    The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with\. Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

A screen shot of your code results is attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In dmesg,we see that the device grabbed the correct driver b44 very early in the boot process and created an ethernet interface, eth0. Most importantly, we see no errors, glitches, etc. Confirm you have an interface with:
    Code:
    ifconfig
    If you see an eth0 there, no need to show us, just tell us yes or no. We would like to see:
    Code:
    nm-tool
    If it's easier, you can jot down the result with a pencil and put it here.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

ifconfig shows eth0. Network Manager shows a "disconnected" wired connection using B44 driver. State is unavailable. Default is no. Under capabilities, carrier detect is yes and under wired properties, carrier is off. An HW address is also listed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

under wired properties, carrier is off.
    That usually means there is no cable or the cable is defective. Can you check the cable at both the computer and the router?

Beans

Dude, I feel like an idiot! Unresponsive router port. Cable was good but one port wasn't working correctly when the other three were fine. Reset router and all is good. I saw BCM4401 and knew I had had MANY problems with Broadcom drivers and so guessed that was it. I wasn't able to recall the exact commands to use to determine the driver in use, tho. Ubuntu mostly works out of the box these days. You were INCREDIBLY helpful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Glad it's working by whatever means! Have fun. I'll take an easy one once in a while. I'm old and I deserve a break!