Thread: Ubunutu Server with WebUI squid user authentication and log/monitoring

Beans

Ubunutu Server with WebUI squid user authentication and log/monitoring

I'd like to configure an Ubuntu Server box with webadmin or webui.

At the same time as transparent proxy with user authentication and monitoring and logging.

To be used in a school environment

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help: Ubunutu Server with WebUI squid user authentication and log/monitoring

I would reccomend a bit of reading up on LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol). LDAP is a database that can be used for user/group management, seperating users into different departments, and so on. For the transparent Proxy, you can use squid and its squid-ldap_auth helper to integrate squid with LDAP. You can then manage access to the proxy through LDAP. LDAP also has a nice web interface called GOsa that can be used to configure users/groups/objects in LDAP.

Though a web interface for configuring Ubuntu can be acchieved by Webmin, it is not reccomended due to security problems.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans

Re: Ubunutu Server with WebUI squid user authentication and log/monitoring

how did you go??

Beans

Re: Ubunutu Server with WebUI squid user authentication and log/monitoring

Just started with zentyal. I'm still thinking of using proxy authentication or captive portal. I'm very much concerned with what websites that students are visiting.