Thread: LDAP - Windows Login possible?

Beans

LDAP - Windows Login possible?

Hey People,

i searched in the Internet and i am not sure about it now.

Is it possible to login with the LDAP-credentials over the LDAP-Domain name with windows or ubuntu, WITH a Standalone LDAP?

So in some words ...
    ldap-server
    windows client
    no samba!!!
    domain login

???

I searched in the internet and now im not so sure about it if its possible or not. Like i understood its only possibler with samba in frontend and LDAP in backend?!

Also another question. OpenLDAP is a diffrent 3rd-party service/program like LDAP right? is it possible with OpenLDAP either/neither ... ?

I know this Topic is old. And was answered 10000000 times. But everywhere i read diffrent stuffs and now i want be sure and clear about this question!

Regards,
    Bathroth

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: LDAP - Windows Login possible?

Not sure if I correctly understand your question, but I successfully use pGina to login on Windows with LDAP credentials (both Windows XP and Windows 7). It has an LDAP authentication plugin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by schragge View Post
    Not sure if I correctly understand your question, but I successfully use pGina to login on Windows with LDAP credentials (both Windows XP and Windows 7). It has an LDAP authentication plugin.
    It seems yes, you understood my question.

My question is if it is possible to login with a windows Client to LDAP without combining LDAP and Samba.

So Standalone LDAP, without samba (thats the important part)

Tomorrow ill watch ur links.

Regards,
    Bathroth

Beans
    Hidden!

There's nothing that prevents logging in without Samba, but obviously each user will get a local profile, as remote user profiles centrally stored on the Samba server woudn't be available.