Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Docks are Old.

Beans

Docks are Old.

Is anyone else starting to think that docks (Docky, AWN, Cairo-dock etc) are become...tiring? OS X has one, Windows (sort of) has one, Unity (technically) has one as does Gnome and Xfce (by default).

They look awesome and they are really useful...but I am getting tired of looking at the same sort of thing all the time. Does anyone else share this opinion?

Beans

Re: Docks are Old.

You said it yourself that they look awesome and are useful. What else do you want? I personally don't use one i just keep my menus clean and use synapse for quick launching but, i do see them being useful
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

My problem is that they're getting overused IMO and I was wondering if there is something which can look just as good and be just as useful. ( Obviously there is Synapse and GnomeDo ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Icons are things we click on to launch applications. Sometimes they're in a thing we call a panel. Sometimes they're in a thing we call a dock. The differences are minimal.

Anything that might replace panels and docks would still be a gathering of icons on the desktop. Different name, same stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sometimes old is better, sometimes it isn't, it's nice to have both options readily available just in case.

I prefer a fairly old dock-style launcher called wbar because it is fast and doesn't interfere with games.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I like having my most used applications available but not directly pasted to the desktop as links. Panels and docks can accomplish the same thing, but docks often include more features . The bottom line for me is there has to be a way to access applications and there is a lot of heated debate about how that should be done, but in the end its just a different type of menu.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 19th, 2013 at 10:48 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The thing that bugged me most about gnome 2 was that the applications I used the most had icons the same size as applications I rarely use, and they were tiny.
    // Blog

Beans

Am I the only one who thinks they look awesome and thats it? They are very ineficient, I don't know why we are moving away from good old efficient stuff such as the Windows XP or Cinnamons taskbar. Actually I do know; for most users EyeCandy > Usefulness.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra Diaboli View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks they look awesome and thats it? They are very ineficient, I don't know why we are moving away from good old efficient stuff such as the Windows XP or Cinnamons taskbar. Actually I do know; for most users EyeCandy > Usefulness.
    No it's because the touch interfaces of phone and tablet is where they see the greatest opportunity
    to break into now and in the future.
    The desktop has become a secondary goal.

Beans

Maybe you should install afterstep. It has a "wharf".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast