Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not using swap

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Not using swap

Greetings,
    Not related to original OP but with 4gig of RAM less alloted video I don't use my swap anyway. Since $Home is encrypted my swap didn't setup properly during installation. As a solution I set my swapiness to 10 instead of the default 60 and just don't use a swap file. Results, smooth, fast system. I don't know where the limits are but my wife has half the ram at 2gig less video, I set it to the same swapiness of 10 and it runs fine without the swap file. I do acknowledge that she doesn't put the demand on the system that I do. FYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Not using swap

Just put SSD solid state hard drives in a netbook and a notebook. For what I do, I didn't see much memory constraint when running the command free.
    Flash memories do wear out with high write activity. So not knowing if the SSD are as sensitive to write so I'm not running a swap partition. In the past some linux's seemed to do a lot of fussing with swap whether they needed to or not. In contrast the small distro puppy seems to rn in memory altogether writing optionally at shutdown. Haven't run puppy lately.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123