Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Intel Centrino Wireless N 1000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Intel Centrino Wireless N 1000

What follows is info gleaned from a historical post with similar problems to your own, but answered by a true wireless guru. I am only regurgitating his knowledge:

iwlwifi (your driver) appears to have two issues in some laptops:

1. n-mode connection, and
    2. conflict with bluetooth.

We can test if either solution works by:
    1. Disabling n-mode with:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod iwlwifi && sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
    which you've already tried, or
    2. Disabling bluetooth
    Code:
    sudo rmmod iwlwifi && sudo modprobe iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0
    or,
    3. As guru @chili555 notes, you can try both with:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod iwlwifi && sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 bt_coex_active=0
    4. If either of these kludges work for you, you can make them permanent by doing:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
    and adding either "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1" or "options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0" or both to the file.

5. Even if this works, I'm not really happy with it as a real solution because it is a kludge that nerfs some functionality in order to work around a problem. If you are feeling especially brave or foolhardy, you may wish to install a newer iwlwifi module to see if that makes any difference. If you want to try a newer driver, open synaptic and search for the package name of your driver:
    Code:
    compat-wireless
    This should give you a number of packages containing different versions of iwlwifi drivers. Carefully note the full names of all the checkmarked boxes and record them so that you know which is your current driver should you need to revert. Go through the list, compare, and choose one with a higher version number. Be careful that you are not installing the wrong driver for your architecture. amd-64 will not work with i86 and vice versa. You will also have to comment out the options in step 4 above in order to properly test the new driver.

If you feel that you can live with reduced functions (assuming any of the kludges actually work), you may wish to skip step 5 as unnecessary and just tempting fate.

Last but not least, read through the whole thread referenced earlier to see if any of the problems therein reflect your own and paying especial attention to the posts of @chili555. The above suggestions are derived from that thread.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans

Disabling bluetooth seems to work, and I have added the command to the file. From what you are telling me, the only reduced functionality is now I do not have bluetooth capablities, which I guess is fine, since I have never once used bluetooth with my laptop. Are there any more functions I loose or is that it? Also, thank you very much for all your help on the subject. I can finally get back to coding.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I'm thrilled that it worked! And the proper parties to thank are @chili555 who laid out the original solution and @Hadaka who pointed me in the right direction.

I'm not even sure that you lose Bluetooth, as it is my understanding that Bluetooth functionality is provided by a separate driver. You should find it by doing:
    Code:
    lsmod
    where the driver is called simply bluetooth.

Truth be told, I'm not sure what the option actually does. It may allow bluetooth tethering with WIFI, which is an even more specialized use that you probably won't miss at all. In any case, you can see if Bluetooth still works by borrowing a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard and seeing if it pairs.

Good luck and Happy Ubuntuing!
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just tell me.

Beans

a big thanks to you Duckhook. I had the problem that my wifi wasn't workng on booting up but when i reconnected it via the hardware switch it wokred. I tried switching off the n standard and voila it works on bootup!

EDIT: seems like this was a one timer

do you have by chance any idea what can cause this? It doesn't seem to be bluetooth or the n-mode. and after I mnually restart the wifi with the hardware know it works.

EDIT2: after installing backport drivers like you suggested as last option everything works again even after rebooting several times I am happy now.
    Last edited by donkarziavelli; May 22nd, 2013 at 11:27 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123