Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel Centrino Wireless N 1000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Intel Centrino Wireless N 1000

A kind friend has PM-ed me suggesting disabling your N speed. I would like to refrain from that step temporarily until you have tried making your settings as per my last post. However, in preparation, what is your router? Is it a/b/g or also n-capable (It will usually tell you right on the router itself)?
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just let me jump.

Beans

Okay, I've done all this, but I'm still having the same problem. I've even gone in through Windows and accessed my router to change over to WPA2/WPA Mixed and fixed the appropriate settings on the Ubuntu side. Still same problem. And if it makes any difference, I've been testing all this on a few different networks, so the router isn't the problem. Also, in regards to your newest post, I have the router set to B-only.

Beans

btw, the router has all: b,g, and n

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsix View Post
    Okay, I've done all this, but I'm still having the same problem. I've even gone in through Windows and accessed my router to change over to WPA2/WPA Mixed and fixed the appropriate settings on the Ubuntu side. Still same problem. And if it makes any difference, I've been testing all this on a few different networks, so the router isn't the problem. Also, in regards to your newest post, I have the router set to B-only.
    I knew I shouldn't have jumped the gun. It only leads to confusion. Sorry about that. It isn't the router that has to be nerfed, but the WIFI chip in your laptop. So please set your router back to support for all channels (b/g/n).

Also time to give kind friend a name: Hadaka

@Hadaka suggests that we disable n-channel on your wifi chip because n sometimes acts wonky in encryption query. This would only be invoked when you fire up Ubuntu, so n-channel would still work when you are in Windows. As a point of clarification, did you install Ubuntu as a classical dual-boot or did you use WUBI? If you wish to try this suggestion then what we are doing is disabling your wireless driver and immediately re-enabling it but with options disabling n-channel. Do:
    Code:
    sudo rmmod iwlwifi && sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
    Also afraid that I've reached the end of my rope here (it's after midnight) and I'm about to turn into a pumpkin. Please see if above works, and I will catch up with you in the morning.

Beans

I really appreciate you being patient with me on this one. I typed in the command, no luck. Also, since I have no experience in Linux, I opted for the wubi route for now. I'm wondering now if that wasn't the best first step haha.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please expand on "no luck". Any error messages? Did system respond in any way at all?

There is nothing wrong with WUBI except for the fact that most of the powerusers giving advice on these forums have no experience with it. Therefore, there are limitations on how much help is available.

Does WIFI work when you run a LiveDVD/USB? You probably already know that Ubuntu can run off of its install DVD or USB, so please locate the medium that you installed it from, boot it up, and try it that way. If WIFI works on LiveDVD, then problem may have something to do with your config files or a corrupted driver.

Also, now time to check your logs. I'm afraid that help here is also constrained due to the sheer size of some logs. They can also contain indentifiable data that you may not wish to have posted on a public forum, so it's best for you to review these carefully and edit if necessary if you wish to post them. Do:
    Code:
    dmesg
    immediately after trying to connect WIFI. Also do:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog
    Both logs are huge. You can manage the flow better by piping output through less or even redirecting output to a file that you can review at leisure, i.e.
    Code:
    dmesg | less
    cat /var/log/syslog > ~/Desktop/syslog_output.txt
    The last command produces a file on your desktop called syslog_output.txt which you can view with gedit. It is also easier to post such a file on this forum by doing it as an attachment (using paperclip icon at top of posting box--it is considered bad etiquette to post massive files in plain text as this chokes viewers who have limited bandwidth).

If you are feeling especially clever, piping through grep removes a lot of irrelevancies, i.e.:
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog | grep -i network
    but this may hide relevant info, and when trying to chase down a problem, it is usually best to go through all of the output.

Beans

I haven't been able to do what you have currently asked, but I should get back to you tomorrow. I've been busy. Sorry about the delayed response

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Glad you let me know. I usually delete thread subscriptions if they are dormant for more than 48 hrs, but will now be sure to keep yours open till you reply. Take your time. No hurries.

Beans

I have the files for the dmesg and the syslog, but both exceed the forums limit for file sizes. Should I just split them up into several files or what's the procedure for files this large. Note: they are 70KB and 1.8MB respectively, and the reduced syslog file (using the last command that you posted) is also too large, at 444KB. Lastly, by no luck I mean that once the command is inputed, the computer just tries to connect once again to a network, then after some time it asks for the password (just like what normally happens), and repeats.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't want to parse through massive files either, so no point to posting the whole thing. What I would suggest is that you look through them for problematic issues. It seems to me that such issues exist merely from the sheer size of your syslog. This is usually a sign that something is unwell with your system and the problem will be obvious in the following ways:

1. A syslog that large is usually the result of repeating error conditions that bloat up the syslog every time it generates an error event. If you see a repeating line (or collection of lines) it is enough to post just those lines.
    2. Error log entries (versus innocuous general system notifications) often contain telltale words or phrases like "Error", "Segfault", "Failed", "Failure", etc.
    3. Relevant errors may also refer to: "network", "wlan0", "iwlwifi", or other keywords doing with your driver.

Error messages are cryptic and obscure, but with the above guidelines, you can hopefully sift out the relevant info from the cruft. Just post what you think is relevant.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast