Thread: Migrate out of VMware ESXi 5.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Migrate out of VMware ESXi 5.0

Hello,

At the data-center I've got 6 ESX hosts running around 40ish total vm's locally not on a SAN box. Recently I paid our normal maintenance license fee's and thought about the wonders that be out there that are open-source.

I was just wondering if anyone has migrated away from ESX, and how it went converting the images over. I had done a bit of homework on a couple options and of course my vendor is really pushing
    hyper-v (they're a gold partner) but I wanted to know how others experiences went.

Personally I'd love to check out Ubuntu's offerings but not sure how that would go with the owner.

Also if this was posted somewhere, I apologize. I did do a search and found a few things but nothing too generalized and some was out-dated.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Migrate out of VMware ESXi 5.0

Check out http://www.proxmox.com/products/proxmox-ve

I have been moving machines off ESXi 4 to HyperV and it has been a royal pain in the butt.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

yeah, Proxmox was pretty cool and it seemed to be nice, looked like migrating would be a pain though. Last question is that I'm looking to build a SAN box and was checking out "OpenSAN" and Starwind iscsi software. Has anyone had any luck with either of those two options in a production environment with 40ish virtual machines?
    Last edited by Hexxus; March 24th, 2013 at 02:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Hexxus View Post
    Hello,

At the data-center I've got 6 ESX hosts running around 40ish total vm's locally not on a SAN box. Recently I paid our normal maintenance license fee's and thought about the wonders that be out there that are open-source.
    You are aware that VMware offer a free ESXi licence if you don't want all the "bells and whistles" of their paid system?

Management of the VMs and hosts is more complicated but that's what you pay for with the fully licenced product.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way