Thread: Trying to build my own 404, 403 and 400 error pages

Beans

Trying to build my own 404, 403 and 400 error pages

I'm trying to build my own 404, 403, and 400 error pages. Here is the website where i got the information.
    http://queenofsubtle.com/404/?page_id=2180

It says: "Create a file called .htaccess in the root directory of the server (the one you refer to as ‘/’) and enter your error handlers in the following format, one per line:"

I don't understand why they don't just tell you what to do step by step. But is the root directory of the server /etc/apache2?
    at in the etc/apache2/ directory i type sudo nano .htaccess and then type the error handlers he lists?

where would i create this folder on server root or /var/www?

/errors/custom404.html

Is that what i do? Thanks!

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Very Simple Question

Okay, first off I don't know squat about the server. I did find this which talks about the document root for apache - I don't know if that's the same thing or not.

As far as the files, from the link you provided it would appear you would put the entries like

ErrorDocument 404 /errors/custom404.html
    in the .htaccess file (if you follow my link, I think that somewhere in the conf file it will show what your root folder is - and perhaps it is just "?") in the server "/" folder, then define an html file (in the example above, custom404.html in the /errors folder) that contains what you want that page to look like - they named it custom404 since it is a custom page 404).

It will require a server reboot.

Don't know if that helps you at all or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would recommend using the ubuntu server guide for this type of information, as it is specific to ubuntu. In the 12.10 guide (pdf) see chapter 11 sub-section 1.2.2, where it says:
    Read /etc/apache2/conf.d/localized-error-pages for detailed instructions for using ErrorDocument, including locations of example files.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

based on waht the documentation says, looks like i need to read the information here: /etc/apache2/conf.d/localized-error-pages

I hope that solves it. I'll check it out tomorrow. i thought this would be simple and straight forward.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Trying to build my own 404, 403 and 400 error pages

Changed the title to a more informative one.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts