Thread: 12.04.2 Stuck in Login Loop

12.04.2 Stuck in Login Loop

I'm in a bit of a predicament
    I can't login through my normal account (the screen goes black and goes back to the login prompt), and when I try to open the terminal with CTRL+ALT+F1, I get a black screen and a purple bar across the top
    I've got no Idea how to fix this
    Last edited by LifeWithoutWindows; March 18th, 2013 at 08:00 AM.

Re: 12.04.2 Stuck in Login Loop

bump

Beans

It would help to answer your question if you were more specific about why (or how) you can't login through your normal account

If it's a password issue, you can fix it from the recovery console using the instructions here --> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

I'll fix that
    When I try to log in, the screen goes black and goes back to the login prompt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There is a file in your home directory called .XAuthority. Make sure it is owned by your user account or writable by all users.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    There is a file in your home directory called .XAuthority. Make sure it is owned by your user account or writable by all users.
    I can't open the terminal with CTRL+ALT+F1 though (shows a blank black screen)
    How would I access it in this case?

I can't seem to find .xauthority
    I'm looking in my partition's home directory via a live CD and I can't find it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I remember once that I had a program installed that would not work properly. The error had to do with .xauthority. I couldn't find it either, so I created an empty file and named it .xauthority (or .XAuthority, I can't remember). The problem disappeared after I created that file.
    Thank you,
    GG -----------

Quote Originally Posted by GrouchyGaijin View Post
    I remember once that I had a program installed that would not work properly. The error had to do with .xauthority. I couldn't find it either, so I created an empty file and named it .xauthority (or .XAuthority, I can't remember). The problem disappeared after I created that file.
    well, now I can access the TTY Terminal, but there's no login prompt
    I'm thinking it'd be easier just to reinstall

Beans

If you can boot into 'recovery mode' then you should be able to do everything from there - you will need to remount the filesystem with read-write permissions, but it will be much quicker than reinstalling. That's assuming the .Xauthority file is the problem of course (fwiw it does match your symptoms).