Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AUDIO: Youtube/Audacious output disappears after starting Ardour or Qtractor

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: AUDIO: Youtube/Audacious output disappears after starting Ardour or qT (until reb

Quote Originally Posted by jfj33 View Post
    UPDATE: I'm really finding this feature very useful, for Ubuntu Studio and for my vanilla Ubuntu installation too (I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed alongside multibooting with Win7 as an environment to learn about development/programming languages, bash etc, and tinker under the Ubuntu hood without risk of stuffing up my Ubuntu Studio installation). Thanks for this, it makes the wiki a lot easier to navigate - great work.
    Hi jfj33,

If you are referring to my putting you on to NewDocs, the pleasure is all mine.

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

PopularPages Wiki Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: AUDIO: Youtube/Audacious output disappears after starting Ardour or Qtractor

I use this configuration for the firewire card to overcome the problem you addressed
    Code:
    pcm.rawjack {
        type jack
        playback_ports {
            0 system:playback_1
            1 system:playback_2
        }
        capture_ports {
            0 system:capture_1
            1 system:capture_2
        }
    }

pcm.jack {
        type plug
        slave { pcm "rawjack" }
        hint {
            description "JACK Audio Connection Kit"
        }
    }

ctl.mixer0 {
    type hw
    card 0
    }

pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave { pcm "rawjack" }
    }
    You can put the above code to the: ~/.asoundrc
    And try it out.
    I haven't tested it with ALSA soundcard.
    If it doesn't work, try to reboot. If you wan't to disable it - erase or rename the file.
    What it does - it creates automaticly ALSA audio ports in running JACK server. So, if you play youtube video it will connect flashplayer to JACK outputs.
    One thing I notice is that it doesn't "like" RT or lowlatency. So, I made a separate JACK configuration for playback with no RT and 64ms latency.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: AUDIO: Youtube/Audacious output disappears after starting Ardour or Qtractor

jejeman describes what I was talking about. You can do it, but it requires some configuration. You only have one sound chip on a laptop. In a desktop rig, you can have firewire sound devices, motherboard sound, M-Audio PCI soundcards, USB sound cards, and you can get them all to work (well, most of them) at near real time. A laptop sound chip will just puke when trying to perform realtime sound mixing AND pipe in a youtube soundtrack streaming from the web. Not to mention that the Southbridge Chip handles both sound and ethernet at the same time. jejeman struck a compromise, by allowing moderate latency (64ms) on playback. At 300ms latency, you can't monitor yourself talking into a microphone. Try it. http://www.thedailyactivist.com/scie...-speechjammer/

I would like to know how Mac and Windows tools get around these simple facts.
    Last edited by tgalati4; March 21st, 2013 at 03:56 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by jejeman View Post
    I haven't tested it with ALSA soundcard.
    If it doesn't work, try to reboot. If you wan't to disable it - erase or rename the file.
    What it does - it creates automaticly ALSA audio ports in running JACK server. So, if you play youtube video it will connect flashplayer to JACK outputs.
    One thing I notice is that it doesn't "like" RT or lowlatency. So, I made a separate JACK configuration for playback with no RT and 64ms latency.
    Thanks jejeman, I'll give that a try tonight when I'll hopefully get chance to have another play on Ubuntu Studio. I think for the purposes of following along with a YouTube tutorial, 64ms latency is fine. Thanks for your help!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    jejeman describes what I was talking about. You can do it, but it requires some configuration. You only have one sound chip on a laptop. In a desktop rig, you can have firewire sound devices, motherboard sound, M-Audio PCI soundcards, USB sound cards, and you can get them all to work (well, most of them) at near real time. A laptop sound chip will just puke when trying to perform realtime sound mixing AND pipe in a youtube soundtrack streaming from the web. Not to mention that the Southbridge Chip handles both sound and ethernet at the same time. jejeman struck a compromise, by allowing moderate latency (64ms) on playpack. At 300ms latency, you can't monitor yourself talking into a microphone. Try it. http://www.thedailyactivist.com/scie...-speechjammer/

I would like to know how Mac and Windows tools get around these simple facts.
    Ha! That link's brilliant, the video's hilarious - thanks for sharing that! I remember first installing Cubase VST 3.5 all those years ago and being horrified at the latency, about 6-700ms IIRC, until I upgraded my soundcard and tweaked the ASIO drivers. It feels a lot longer ago than fifteen years!

Anyway, to be honest, I can't tell you how they (specifically Windows) gets round this, but that's sort of the point - I don't need to know, it just works. I can appreciate and love that one of the many benefits of Linux is that you can get under the hood and hack to your heart's content, but for the purposes of pro audio on Linux, that's not just an option, it's a requirement. From a pro-musician's perspective, you just need to be able to boot up and be productive from the outset, and Linux isn't quite there yet. If Linux is ever going to be taken seriously as a pro audio platform (more than just by the outliers and hobbyists), it needs to be easy to just start up a DAW and get working, with out having to connect up lots of individual modules. I realise that's 'the Linux way', but if you try to persuade most studio engineers that to do that for each recording session, they'll laugh you out of the building. If I'm wrong on that, please feel free to set me straight, but that's certainly my perception.

Back to the specific subject of the post, though. Just to clarify, what I'm trying to achieve here is not realtime sound mixing and watching YouTube at the same time - in Windows if I need to record an acoustic instrument on my laptop, I'd connect my UCA202, use ASIO drivers, set the latency to 256 buffers or lower (which gives me 10ms latency in Ableton Live), and hit record. But if I'm following a YouTube tutorial, I can still get 20ms latency playing a VSTi synth with my USB MIDI keyboard using the onboard audio and stock drivers.

Now believe me, I can't really express how much I hate the idea of giving MS and Windows any credit whatsoever (!!), but I haven't yet found a way to replicate this performance using Linux. I would be over the moon to know that I could wipe my Windows 7 partition altogether, but audio production is currently the only thing stopping me doing so.

However, that's part of what's motivating me to get involved and contribute to the Ubuntu Studio project and the wider Linux/GNU/FOSS community, mainly just by donating so far, but hopefully soon by making myself useful on projects too! The more of us there are helping out, the greater the chance that pro audio capability and ease of use on Linux will not only catch up with Mac and Windows, but surpass them, sooner rather than later. I'd really like to see that happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

How would you do this in Windows?

Code:
    sudo apt-get install sox

play "|rec -d delay 0.300"

play "|rec -d pitch -200"
    The first command delays your speech by 300 ms. The second lowers your pitch by 2 semitones. Works best with headphones. You may have to fiddle with the built-in microphone gain.

I agree with your comments. Linux is not widely used in professional music production and it is not easy to set up and use.
    Last edited by tgalati4; March 21st, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Hehe, thanks for that, fun to play with

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    I agree with your comments. Linux is not widely used in professional music production and it is not easy to set up and use.
    I have high hopes for the future though...
    Last edited by jfj33; March 21st, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
    Hardware: Toshiba Satellite P850-321 and self-built desktop PC (specs to be added)
    Distros: Ubuntu Studio 12.10, Ubuntu 12.04, Linux Mint 14 Nadia, Cinnarch + Ubuntu Raring test partition

Beans

I think this is much simpler than everyone is making this.I think the original issue was that when you were starting Ardour you were not getting youtube playback.When Jack starts it takes over your soundcard so Pulseaudio can't access it.In Ubuntu studio, when you start Qjackctrl,you will see Pulseaudio sink in your inputs side & they should be connected up to your outputs.So when you lose your youtube playback or whatever app, click your volume control icon and click sound settings and look for your app.I think youtube in firefox would say plugin container.Then click the dropdown for the output of that app & select pulseaudio jacksink.Sorry if this isn't that clear as I'm not at my home computer right now.
    There's even a possibly easier way to deal with this on this page
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ub.../ProAudioIntro
    You could set pulseaudio jack sink as a fallback device in your sound settings.When your app can't make the connection to pulseaudio it will fall back to jack sink.
    By the way...in my version of Audacious in Ubuntu Studio you can go into the prefs and set jack as your output rather thatn pulseaudio.Anyway there is no issue here except maybe a couple clicks here and there to set things up properly.
    Craig

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I have overlooked that he was asking about Audacious. Yes, Audacious is JACK aware application. He can switch the audio output settings to JACK, but then he will complain how he need to switch it back to ALSA when not using JACK.

Pulseaudio JACK sink never worked for me.

Beans

I think the trick is that you have to set the output of that app to jacksink in the sound settings.Even though the connections are made in the jack connections window, the application is still outputting to pulseaudio in the sound settings until you switch it.Normally I keep DBus disabled in Jack so that PAsink doesn't appear.I find it annoying & distracting to have all those extra connections when you're trying to route the audio for the programs that you're using.That said though, once I realized how to work it, I've never had a problem getting YouTube to play through JackSink if I wanted to use it.
    Craig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12