Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the next step for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Smile What is the next step for Ubuntu?

Since both Apple's and Microsoft's creation(s), both have progressed from software to hardware; from computing equipment to portable gadgets. Apple created the Mac, the iPod, the iPad and the iPhone; Microsoft created WIndows, the Surface, the Xbox and bought out Skype as well as creating their own version of the iPod (the Zune).

Since Ubuntu's Desktop range consists of Ubuntu for PCs (PCs, laptops, Macs, netbooks, etc.), TV, Androids and smartphones, and now tablets, what is the next step in Ubuntu software? Ubuntu even has a cloud storage device.

A Ubuntu software version of the iPod and the Zune? Software for jailbroken iPods?
    Last edited by Jonathan Andrew Upton; February 20th, 2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Adding of more data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

Re: What is the next step for Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Andrew Upton View Post
    what is the next step in Ubuntu software?
    World domination, mwahahahahahahahahaha!

Beans
    Hidden!

(Laughs at MadmanRB) Thank you for your witty reply, albeit sarcastic lol. XD

But seriously - is it not about time for Ubuntu to move on?

Beans

Well it is, there are plans for mobiles and tablets.
    Unity is the first stage in that.
    But it will not go away for desktops anytime soon, as desktops are still a viable market even in the shades of iphones and androids.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Andrew Upton View Post
    A Ubuntu software version of the iPod and the Zune? Software for jailbroken iPods?
    The standalone MP3 player market is shrinking. Not a good market for Ubuntu to get into.

Software for jailbroken iPods also doesn't sound like a viable business plan.

I believe when autonomous cars become available, they will be fitted with an entertainment computer as standard; like a tablet embedded in the dashboard console. Play music, look at driving statistics, set GPS waypoints, take VOIP calls etc, right from the driver's seat of your car.

Ubuntu could definitely get in on that.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    GPS waypoints
    Ubuntu GPS: To go home now turn left, but if you turn right and drive 500 meters you can enjoy a delicious Cappuccino for only $1,99 at Starpuke Coffe.

Infraction in 3,2,...

Beans
    Hidden!

Personally I think that Ubuntu should go into multi-platform games consoles where one can play games from online AND games from disk on. Linux for PS2 was invented to turn the PlayStation 2 into a Linux computer, so why can the same not happen here?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Rolling Release Ubuntu replacing 6 month versions...
    That's being discussed right now...could happen for 13.04!
    (keeping my fingers crossed)...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    Ubuntu GPS: To go home now turn left, but if you turn right and drive 500 meters you can enjoy a delicious Cappuccino for only $1,99 at Starpuke Coffe.
    Lol no, but you could say "Where's the nearest coffee" and your Ubuntu dash would say "There's Starbucks two minutes away, or La Bella Cafe five minutes away". You could say "La Bella, please" and it would add the cafe as a waypoint.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast