Thread: Suggestion

Beans

Suggestion

Hey guys, sup? I'm currently a Windows 7 user, and I always wanted to move to Ubuntu, because it's new and exciting. As the matter of fact I did movie to Ubuntu a couple of times but the lack of some useful softwares forced me back to Windows. I'm currently learning Computer Programming and I wanted to ask you guys a suggestion :

There are some softwares on Windows that I can't live without them, like IDM (Internet Download Manager), MPCstar (A Media Player), Bittorrent and some other softwares. These aren't available for Ubuntu and Linux based OSs. I wanted to know that, can I do something about this problem, like can I run these exe softwares on Ubuntu? Because if I can't, I'm afraid I have to stay with Windows.

Thanks

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Suggestion

For the first one ..

There are several download managers.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9

Beans

Welcome!

Ubuntu is different than Windows. Ubuntu is so easy to use! All you need to do is tap the Windows/Super key and type what you want to do. So press Super and type "media" if you want to play some media; press Super and type "torrent" if you want to do some torrenting, etc. And if Ubuntu doesn't come pre-installed with an app you need, you can install thousands of apps using the Software Center as described here. The Software Center includes all kinds of apps for downloading, playing media, etc. but they will have different names and slightly different look & feel than the apps you are used to from Windows. Because now you are using Ubuntu, and it is different.

If you want to use your same apps from Windows, you can try using WINE, or you can simply "dual boot" so you can choose between Windows or Ubuntu each time you turn on the computer. That is the easiest, "best of both worlds" solution, in my recommendation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

You can install the WINE package and try to install or run them using that. You can get more information, and even check on a database that reports on applications that do and do not work well here: http://www.winehq.org/

Good luck, and let us know how you made out!
    --
    uc50_ic4more

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by TheHungerGames View Post
    There are some softwares on Windows that I can't live without them, like IDM (Internet Download Manager), MPCstar (A Media Player), Bittorrent and some other softwares.
    Tons of download managers
    VLC
    Tons of torrent programs

The programs you have mentioned are very generic, any reason why you specifically need those exact programs?
    Last edited by ikt; March 17th, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
    // Blog

Beans

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys... As for the Dual OS suggestion I have to say that my Laptop is a Sony VAIO VGN-N320E and if you look it up, you'll see that this laptop was refused by the stone age people because it was too old . So I can't go for the best of both worlds. But I will definitely use all of your suggestions in order to work with Ubuntu. So Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

If you need to run Windows programs, use Windows. That said, there are some alternatives which have already been mentioned; find Linux apps that give the same function, use Wine, etc. If the Windows programs are open source, there's always the option of compiling them to run on Linux, which may or may not be a simple matter. In the end it all boils down to your own needs and preferences.