Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Make usb drive for XP install

Beans

Make usb drive for XP install

I have no Windows machines, and no floppy drives.

I need to create an USB boot/install drive from either the XP cd or the iso file.

The additional complication is that I need to include whatever is needed to install to a SATA HDD.

----
    On Linux there are a number of apps which will handle multi-boot installs for various distros. So a big usb stick can be used to install a selection of distros.

Is the same possible (from ubuntu) with a selection of Windows CDs (W98, XP, Win7, Vista)?

I found threads on this subject, but they seem to be unworkable or start from a Windows environment.

Joey
    Last edited by ikt; March 17th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.

Beans

Re: Make usb drive for XP install

What's your goal? Install Ubuntu? Install Windows XP?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    What's your goal? Install Ubuntu? Install Windows XP?
    As the header says, I want to make an usb stick, from which I can install XP (with SATA drivers extra).

I rarely use Windows, but occasionally I need to use an app that only runs on Windows. So, I just need the ability to install it easily,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joey00 View Post
    As the header says, I want to make an usb stick, from which I can install XP (with SATA drivers extra).

And you're asking that in "Ubuntu General Support" ... ?

Sorry ... can't help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to Other OS.
    // Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    And you're asking that in "Ubuntu General Support" ... ?

Sorry ... can't help you.
    Since I don't see a section for the making of USB boot disks, I thought this might be the right place for it. It is essentially the ability of Ubuntu to make a boot disk of an unusual type, no?

Perhaps you can suggest a better classification?

I am sorry you are unable to be helpful.

Beans

I need to create an USB boot/install drive from either the XP cd or the iso file.

Is the same possible (from ubuntu) with a selection of Windows CDs (W98, XP, Win7, Vista)?
    Google "128mbdos.img" and download it, it's only 1MB in size, alternatively get it from my google drive below.
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B10i...it?usp=sharing
    It contains Freedos.
    Use dd to write the image to a USB stick sudo dd if=128mbdos.img of=/dev/sdx where x is the USB Stick. DO NOT SPECIFY THE WRONG OUTPUT DEVICE AS IT WILL OVERWRITE IT!!!

You will see it creates a small partition with freedos on it. On the remaining space create a FAT32 partition and simply copy the contents of the cd/iso over to this new partition (make sure you can see hidden files from your file manager, ctrl-h in thunar). You can also dump any additional drivers on this partition for sata etc. and just point windows to it.

Now boot from the USB, change the drive letter to d: or whatever it is for the large FAT32 partition and simply run setup.exe. I have not tried using this method with Vista & later but it works for WinXP and earlier.

This says you can use unetbooting to load Win7 http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...-simple-steps/ but I have never tried it.

Alternatively you can create a small XP/Win7 VM and run the MS Win7 download tool from there which will create a bootable USB for you from a iso image of Win7 (& later I think). http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool
    This will also allow you to use tools like nLite & vLite to slipstream service packs & drivers into the images shuold you have the need.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mips; March 17th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Beans

Come right?

Beans

Thx for this. It sounds like the way to go!

I will try it out and report back.

It occurs to me that I can create several partitions for each system I want to have available. Is this so? Presumably Windows /DOS sees them as Drive D, E, F etc.?

I had a look at unetboot earlier, but it didnt seem to work. Maybe it was the hardware, maybe me.

Sorry to reply slowly - I had work distractions.

Thx again for your help.

Beans

It occurs to me that I can create several partitions for each system I want to have available. Is this so? Presumably Windows /DOS sees them as Drive D, E, F etc.?
    Should work or you could also try just having a separate folder for each OS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast