Thread: Re-install of Ubuntu does not work on Dell Inspiron 14(3421)

Beans

Re-install of Ubuntu does not work on Dell Inspiron 14(3421)

Hi,

I have a problem with my Dell system which requires advice!

I have a Dell Inspiron 14(3421) (i5, 1GB NVIDIA graphics, 4gb RAM, etc.) which came pre-installed with Ubuntu 12.04LTS. I suppose that the version was a specially customised version of Ubuntu by Dell for this 3421 system with in-built drivers,etc. So I made a Dell Ubuntu 12.04LTS recovery disk as they prompted to me the first time I powered-ON my system. Then, I formatted the whole drive, wiped out everything, created partition and installed my unused copy of Win-7-Pro-64bit. its working successfully without problems. Now I wanted to load Ubuntu as the secondary dual boot OS to my system with Win-7 being Primary. So i tried the following:

1) I Used the Dell Ubuntu System Recovery Disk to install/load ubuntu 12.04 LTS. In the setup interface I selected "LOAD AND INSTALL ONLY MY UBUNTU PARTITIONS". I Created the ext4/ and swap for the installations,etc. Everything went on OK and files got copied successfully The system restarted and the next stage of the setup began where I had to type in computer name, username, password,etc. which I did. Evrything seemed ok. but then the progress bar shows CONFIGURING and then setup stops and shows an error message that "Installation has stoped/encounterd a problem/will not continue, Do you want to send error report?" ------------ SO IN SHORT THIS OPTION I TRIED OVER AND OVER AGAIN BUT DID'NT WORK. WHY is it happening?Is'nt the recovery medium supposed to work? HOW DO I SOLVE IT?

2) Next I downloaded the fresh Ubuntu 12.04LTS 64bit from the Ubuntu website. I loaded it on a PenDrive using the UNIVERSAL USB INSTALLER and tried booting from USB. It booted successfully and shows the 1st option screen Try Ubuntu, Install, Mem Test,etc. But when I select the option Install on Hard Drive/Try Ubuntu the screen goes blank and the same list of options appear again. ------WHY is it happening? HOW DO I SOLVE IT?

3) I suppose 12.04LTS is always more stable due to the LTS. but will installing the latest 12.10 will help in anyway? Why did'nt the Dell Ubuntu recovery disk work?

What do I do? Can anyone help me? all responses will be appreciated as I am new to Linux/Ubuntu! plzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Re-install of Ubuntu does not work on Dell Inspiron 14(3421)

I know this might sound weird so hear me out:

Did you try to format your USB drive, re-image it with Ubuntu and see if it works again? I've had a few USB Drives for no apparent reason not work, then I re-add the image then they work fine.

Regarding your Dell media, can you go to www.dell.com/support - enter in your service tag (After choosing home, SMB, or enterprise) and see if you can re-download it and try again? My best guess
    would be to check out the media your installing from first, usually that's solved my problems in the past.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Re-install of Ubuntu does not work on Dell Inspiron 14(3421)

Hi,

I have the same laptop that came with Ubuntu 12.04, however I only use W7 for signing electronic invoices in my country otherwise I am 100% on Ubuntu, so I generated a VM with W7 and that was it.

I wonder why you wanted W7 as your primary in a dual boot instead of just installing it in a VM