Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raring is stable/fast

Beans

Re: Raring is stable/fast

For those that liked gnome classic AKA Gnome 2, XFCE4.12 will start slowly moving to GTK+3 and mate will be porting to gtk3 soon as well. I actually find Unity more productive than Gnome 2 but that's just me some may argue.

If you liked the Gnome 2 layout (2 panels) I'd probably go for XFCE4 or Mate, both will eventually use GTK3 as they can't stay in GTK2 land forever...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    It probably came from Gnome3PPA... Maybe it will survive but my fear is stronger than hope...
    I have not installed the Gnome3PPA on this install. The only PPAs I have added are the Launchpad PPA for xorg crack pushers and the one for Opera.

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/gnome...n-ppa-for.html

If 3.8 is supposed to be released with Raring, I wonder why the above site says this:

"A while back, it was decided that Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail will ship with GNOME 3.6 for the most part instead of GNOME 3.8."

Also wondering why none of the 3 window buttons work - min, max and close...
    Last edited by Cavsfan; March 22nd, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | 14.10 Mate | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

I've Installed a daily build of 13.04 that I downloaded yesterday this morning and found the Installer faster than 12.10, but the Install its self seems to take an age.

Once Installed I find it stable and fast and since upgrading to a Kodak esp1.2 Wireless AIO Printer found it so much simpler to setup the Printer than when I last tried Ubuntu with the old Canon Pixima AIO Printer.

Roland

Beans
    Distro

The button do not work in gnome fallback but, they do work in Unity. Guess I'll deal with Unity for now.

EDIT: I take that back. The window buttons do not work all the time even in Unity. They don't work at all in GF.
    Last edited by Cavsfan; March 22nd, 2013 at 08:13 PM.
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | 14.10 Mate | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans

Raring is excellent so far, running a lot better than 12.10 on my ACER 5542g laptop. A bit speedier and more responsive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

it seems fast but couldnt get Realtek wireless driver to work with 3.8 kernel so I had to reinstall 12.10 for the time being.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I Just installed and Unity, XFCE and the Gnome shell are up and running as well as 12.10 .
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

I'm downloading the kubuntu beta install as I write this. Tried alpha 2 on my netbook but the driver for my broadcom 4313 wireless was glitchy and installing the proprietary driver borked the wireless. Otherwise it worked very nicely. Until the 2nd update. I don't have the linux recovery skills to deal with it.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised I installed an alpha OS. I won't usually install beta app software. But my Acer netbook has the notorious atom 2600/cedarview graphics. It's actually running mint 13 kde because mint kde comes with an older kernel versaion. You can install the cedarview driver packages through synaptic. It's much easier.

However, the kernel is being held at 3.2.0-23-generic. This is causing other problems. This kernel version doesn't work 100% well with my HDD controller. It hasn't failed but it's a bit slow.

And I'm not convinced the wireless works quite right either. It works very poorly on marginal wifi networks (not signal strength, they're not maintained well or use cruddy routers).

So I figure a decently working beta should work as least as well as a compromised stable setup. Here's hoping ...

Beans

Just tried the live usb of beta kubuntu. Wireless still acts off. Trying to install proprietary broadcom 43xx driver borked it.

When I rebooted into mint 13 kde the wireless was having trouble configuring the router. Shut it off for a few minutes and it worked fine. Apparently the open source driver doesn't handle power management correctly for the broadcom 4313. I need the proprietary driver.

At this point I'm seriously considering installing kubuntu 12.04 lts and writing/finding a shell script for changing the brightness. I don't use this netbook to play video on anyway so I don't care if the video performance is 100%.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Rob Sayer , how are you installing the proprietary driver? I've had great luck just installing from the files included in the iso, from the command line.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast