Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raring is stable/fast

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Raring is stable/fast!

Yeah, I have to say that Raring is shaping up to be the best Ubuntu yet. Although I must admit I'm not paying too much attention to Unity this time around. My attention has definitely swung to Gnome3. I still like Unity, but I feel I can do more with Gnome3.

All three of our lappys are now on Raring, Gnome3. Even the missus likes it better than both Unity & Windows.

Funny thing is, we bought a new laptop last week, installed Ubuntu on it as dual boot, and haven't even used the Windows7 part yet!!

Loving the stability of it!
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PJs Ronin View Post
    Tonight I intend to clone my production system (12.04LTS) on to a new hard drive which I will then upgrade to 13.04. Yep, I be impressed with Raring.
    I've had good luck with Clonezilla on Windows. For ubuntu I tend to just do an install. I back up all my changes to an Archive partition and have a semi automated setup exec to get the new one going. That said, I don't use a whole lot of customization........recently had to do a mad scramble to recover partitions when I accidentally screwed up /dev/sda......don't do that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm running nvidia-310-updates - 310.32 and have not had any problems. Raring is way more stable than Quantal ever has been.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just upgraded to 313.26 myself and it runs slick. I'll have to admit that I was just in Unity long enough to install Gnome fallback.

Beans

Re: Raring is stable/fast

Don't even bother with Gnome fallback it's removed in 3.8, use mate or xfce if you want a 2 panel layout or get used to cinnamon.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rukiri View Post
    Don't even bother with Gnome fallback it's removed in 3.8, use mate or xfce if you want a 2 panel layout or get used to cinnamon.
    Oh Noz! Next you'll be telling me Cairo Dock is removed. So, 13.04 ends gnome classic/shell/fallback as we knew it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Whilest I did not use the gnome 3 ppa and I just receive regular updates, I do believe the close button on windows stopped working. I click on it and it just gets dark.
    I have to right click on the object in the bottom panel (thank goodness for gnome fallback) and click close or it will never close.

Beans
    Distro

Hopefully U+1 gets more stable as release approaches - I have had crashes at Beta 2, RC, and even release in the past.

I didn't do measurements but I had Meerkat up yesterday and it was running nice and fast. When unity first appeared it was my opinion slow, seems to be a lot more usable now, however there are more Unity gew gaws coming hopefully not in the main line code.

When 2D worked I ran it in preference to 3D. I'm running Unity 3D right now since I look for bugs in whatever Ubuntu throws over the fence with a rock tied to it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I installed lxde. Couldn't purge that fast enough! Logged into Unity and all seemed to work well. Noticed that because of the Unity bar being there you have less screen room than with Gnome Fallback which is kind of a no brainer.

What is Openbox? I tried Gnome/Openbox and it was like fallback without the top and bottom panels. Good thing I have Cairo Dock or I would not have access to logout, restart, apps, etc.

Then I tried Openbox and the screen blanked and came back to the login screen. So, I am back to fallback and the close buttons are back to not working.

Raring is MUCH more stable than Quantal as far as compiz not working very much. I could not get Emerald installed in Raring using the same instructions that worked on Quantal, since it does not come from a repo.

If fallback is going away, I wonder why I got updates for it today.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    If fallback is going away, I wonder why I got updates for it today.
    It probably came from Gnome3PPA... Maybe it will survive but my fear is stronger than hope...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast