Thread: Live CD does not recognize IDE harddisk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Live CD does not recognize IDE harddisk

I am trying to install 12.04.2 LTS to a blank 40G IDE hard-drive that was previously used in a raid array under windows XP. I used GParted to delete the existing partition on the drive leaving the disk blank. The desktop CD could not even see this drive. I then tried partitioning/formatting the disk with an ext4 primary partition. The installer still could not see the drive. I'm guessing that when the drive was used as part of a raid array, some part of the drive has information still present that says it is part of a raid array. If that is what is preventing this drive from visible to the installer, how do I clear everything having to do with its previous raid usage. Note, it will NOT be part of a raid array from now on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Live CD does not recognize IDE harddisk

Hi, I think I have the reverse problem. My hard drive behaved like it did not exist until I put in a live/install DVD. It turns out that my computer was ignoring live/install CDs. Once I realized what my PC was accepting and rejecting, I sorted my media by type and now I just use CD media on my backup computer. But, all my DVDs will work on my primary computer and the backup. Could the media type be a factor in your case? If you are able to boot live with the CD, then the fact of it being a CD media should not be a problem for you.

I only mention this because I initially tried to install Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS with CDs from Canonical, and they would only work on my backup PC. My primary refused to install the software until I obtained a live/install DVD media for it.

Good luck !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

dyno:

I'm guessing that when the drive was used as part of a raid array, some part of the drive has information still present that says it is part of a raid array.
    This is probably your problem. Once written to a disk by the MB raid bios the raid designation persistently remains in as metadata on the drive until explicitly erased. To erase it, boot to a live CD session, open a terminal, and enter the command -
    sudo dmraid -Er /dev/sda
    - or whatever designation applies to your drive
    That will erase the metadata and should solve your problem. Post how you make out.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give this a try.